1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

adding a fan to a hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by syble, Jan 19, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I have 2 hovabators, one is the regular one with 2 small windows, and the other is the large picture window. I've always done fairly well hatching my own eggs in them, i find the picture window one hard to control at times though. The hatch is never as even or as complete as the other one. I'm considering adding a fan kit to it to see if that will fix it. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I'm planning on buying some hatching eggs (which will be shipped so i'll loose 50% right there)so it's more important then ever to get a good hatch from what makes it.
    Thanks
    sib Wink

2. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    by adding a fan to my hovabator it evened out the temp, no more spikes!!! It also increased my hatch greatly!! I would never set eggs without a fan!!! never

3. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Just added a fan to my 1602N 10 year old square Hovabator. Bought it from Incubator Warehouse, and was easy to install.

I hatched turtle eggs in this incubator for a few years, and it was fine, but from what I've read a fan is better for chicken eggs. I'll be trying in another month once the weather warms some here.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    so i did research about adding a fan, and my boyfriend understands the technicals of it. hes got a computer fan and charger/adaptor for it. just needs to find a place in the bator for it. it cant really go in the center because of the thermostat and wafer, so wheres the best place?
    Sib

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

As close to center as you can get but it don't have to be dead center.

7. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I added one to my 1602 which will be used for lockdown and hatching...... have a 1588 for the main incubation, pre-set temp, humidity is good so I am happy... worth the extra expense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by