Adding a rooster to a flock of 20 hens

Last edited:
your vet can give shots or drops against the mites, but you can try a it without a vet first. Just take some petroleum jelly or ballistrol oil and put it on his legs every day til the legs are smoth and shiny again. It suffocates the mites that have drilled into the skin. He will feel better very soon. I spray the legs with oil every week just to prevent a infection b/c wild birds carry this - and other - mites and if you have your birds in running around in the yard they will have mites sooner or later.

The red on his legs is likely related to hormones. The leg scales lifting up is probably scaly leg mites. Keep the legs smeared with Vaseline for a week or two, and it should take care it.

Quote:

The red on his legs is likely related to hormones. The leg scales lifting up is probably scaly leg mites. Keep the legs smeared with Vaseline for a week or two, and it should take care it.
What she said^^^ ;-)

The red streaks on rooster legs kinda freaked me out until I learned it was normal.
The scaly leg mites are not normal and its best to try and get rid of them, lots of idea and ways to do that so read up on it.

Back
Top Bottom