Adding a second rooster - really tame but larger than my first one!

I've only been with chickens for a year but I've read that a male duck can literally rape a chicken due to the fact that ducks have an actual penis compared to roosters that don't. You may want to Google n check into that just to be sure. I'm sorry that person sold the breeding pair on you. That's just not right 🤨

I've only been with chickens for a year but I've read that a male duck can literally rape a chicken due to the fact that ducks have an actual penis compared to roosters that don't. You may want to Google n check into that just to be sure. I'm sorry that person sold the breeding pair on you. That's just not right 🤨
so far no issues that I've seen with my drakes being aggressive with my chickens, my drakes are of a more mellow breed and they all comingle nicely. good to watch out for, though - I had no idea!

and thank you, it was extremely frustrating because I was REALLY looking forward to adding them to my flock!

so far no issues that I've seen with my drakes being aggressive with my chickens, my drakes are of a more mellow breed and they all comingle nicely. good to watch out for, though - I had no idea!
Just wanted to reiterate the concern about the drakes with the chickens. It's not so much a temperament issue of the drake's being aggressive with the hens... It's more of a physical incompatibility. Male ducks have an actual penis, whereas roosters do not. Chickens are not physically capable of mating with a drake. If a drake mates with a chicken, he can at the best injure her, and at the worst injure her badly enough that it kills her. There was actually a recent thread in the injuries/emergencies section of the chicken forum on it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-mated-chicken-chicken-injured.1455528/

Back
Top Bottom