Adding adult chickens to an established guinea flock

GoodGuinea

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hi. My husband and I have a small (5 birds) flock of guinea fowl. We keep them for tick control, and they do a good job. However, my husband wants to add some chickens for more consistent egg production. I've heard of letting hens raise guinea keets, or raising keets and chicks together, but I haven't heard of adding adult chickens to a guinea flock. Not sure it's a good idea.

He has found two laying hens for sale on Craigslist, and wants to buy them. I understand we would need to keep them separate from our guineas until we're sure they're healthy, and then introduce them slowly to keep them safe. However, we only have one coop. We raised our guineas in a large dog crate (Great Dane sized) when they were very young. Would that be okay for two hens during this period?

I'm trying to think through everything, and hubby wants to buy them yesterday! :idunno

Hi. My husband and I have a small (5 birds) flock of guinea fowl. We keep them for tick control, and they do a good job. However, my husband wants to add some chickens for more consistent egg production. I've heard of letting hens raise guinea keets, or raising keets and chicks together, but I haven't heard of adding adult chickens to a guinea flock. Not sure it's a good idea.

He has found two laying hens for sale on Craigslist, and wants to buy them. I understand we would need to keep them separate from our guineas until we're sure they're healthy, and then introduce them slowly to keep them safe. However, we only have one coop. We raised our guineas in a large dog crate (Great Dane sized) when they were very young. Would that be okay for two hens during this period?

I'm trying to think through everything, and hubby wants to buy them yesterday! :idunno
I would never recommend adding chickens to a flock of guineas. If you want to have chickens, my recommendation is to house them separately from the guinea flock.

Back
Top Bottom