Adding adult hens to pullets

PortmanChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Nova Scotia Canada
I have 7 pullets1 cockerel all 10-13 weeks. I want to add some year old hens who are already laying into the bunch. Besides the quarantine what other advice can you very knowledgable chicken keepers give me. I am wondering if it would be ok to add another 8 hens. Also the breeds avail are Americana , Cochin, barrels rocks, polish, rir, pheonix, and a colt crosses…our flock is pretty friendly I'm wondering what we should add. We have 2 barreds, 2 Orpingtons, 1 silkie, 2 speckled Sussex, and 1 columbium rock. Thanks so much

I have 7 pullets1 cockerel all 10-13 weeks. I want to add some year old hens who are already laying into the bunch. Besides the quarantine what other advice can you very knowledgable chicken keepers give me. I am wondering if it would be ok to add another 8 hens. Also the breeds avail are Americana , Cochin, barrels rocks, polish, rir, pheonix, and a colt crosses…our flock is pretty friendly I'm wondering what we should add. We have 2 barreds, 2 Orpingtons, 1 silkie, 2 speckled Sussex, and 1 columbium rock. Thanks so much

You may have to deal with some fighting initially. No more than 8 hens should be added, or else they will totally overpower the pullets and beat them up. I have never kept barred rocks but have heard many reports of the breed being especially aggressive, so maybe you should avoid them (although they look beautiful). I'd give Americanas a go.

The hens might be less assertive because they are the ones in new surroundings. You should let them see each other through a boundary first, eg a fence, so they get used to the idea of new birds. Good luck
smile.png

I recently introduced some younger pullets to my slightly older and established hens. I set the new ones in the run with hardware cloth making an enclosure. I went against traditional advice and only had them in it for a day. Then I snuck them into the coop that night. There was some chasing and pecking but nothing severe. They have plenty of places to get away from the others. I had a separate feeding and watering station so should the established hens run them away from the main food and water, they were able to get some.
I was really loud with feeding and water. I'd stomp out to the run to essentially freak them out a little bit. I read somewhere that they sort of bond if they all get a little scared.
A week later, I caught them laying in the dirt all piled together. They also eat at the same station without problems. I'm only dealing with four total and they'll split off in pairs while foraging, but all is well so far. Hope this helps!

Justus to let all you helpful peeps know that everythig went awesome, we put them in when everyone was asleep. There were some squables the next day but after that everybody seems to have found there place…and the new chickens are comfortable enough they've started laying in our nest boxes! Very exciting!!

Justus to let all you helpful peeps know that everythig went awesome, we put them in when everyone was asleep. There were some squables the next day but after that everybody seems to have found there place…and the new chickens are comfortable enough they've started laying in our nest boxes! Very exciting!!

Good on you!

Back
Top Bottom