Adding Brewers Yeast for Add'l Niacin for duckling.. Can her baby chick friends eat this same concoc

Silkiebawkbawk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Laveen, AZ
Today I'm gonna pick up some brewers yeast to add to my new duckling, Basil's chick start crumbles. I'm wondering though, is it okay for her two chick friends to eat the yeast too? Or should I separate them when I want basil to get a little yeast?

I wish I knew what to advise . . . I don't have any chickens. Would someone on the chicken forum be able to help? If I had to guess, I would separate them with a plastic poultry fence for feeding. Perhaps you could give the brewer's yeast just at breakfast time, then in the afternoon (or whenever you change food), reunite them and let them eat together again. Sounds complicated, but might not be that bad, to be on the safe side.

Brewers yeast is sold at our health food store as a great source of all sorts of vitamins, so my assumption would be that it wouldn't hurt the chicks. I just wouldn't over do it and go by Amiga's recommendation. I believe it's safer for the chicks to eat the yeast versus you adding straight niacin to the water.

I kind of figured it would be a separation game.. I'm thinking since I'm getting a gosling this weekend I may as well just buy another feed tub and keep the chicks (just 2 of them) separated from the duck and gosling.

Which crops up a whole new question.. Does the goslling have the same feed requirements as the duck?

Back
Top Bottom