Adding chickens to duckyard

Enigmius

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
I have heard that a drake can breed a chicken to death, but I am curious about what are the actual percentages that this occurs.
I have one drake and down to one duck unfortunately. I had a horrible predator attack that took out three ladies(ducks) a week ago. It was my fault. I thought that I had already put my ducks up for the evening, but I hadn't. I have never done that before, but life has gotten a little hectic around here lately, not that that is a good excuse or anything. I now set a timer on my phone right after letting the ducks out to remind me to put them up. It was a tough lesson to learn.

I thought about rehoming the last two of my ducks(1 duck and 1 drake), but I find letting them go to be too hard. They are kind of my pets, even though they are wild-like and will never show their affection. I suppose if I knew of a person I could trust to take good care of them, I might be able to, but... Most people I know do not want a drake. Although I have always loved having a drake. Their voices are so sweet and they have that gorgeous iridescent coloring.

Anyhow, I really want to add Jersey Giant chickens to my flock, but the story about drakes killing chickens is a bit concerning. What is the likelihood of a male runner duck breeding a jersey giant chicken to death? And do any of you out there have mixed flocks(ducks and chickens)?

So very sorry to hear about your losses. :hugs

I have drakes[2] and female ducks and chickens and a goose [don't want to leave her out.] I've never had a drake try and mate a chicken hen, But my drakes have always had plenty of female ducks to keep them busy. And mine are free ranging on a little over half acre daily. But my Runner drake and his girls are in a coop at night with the chickens.
It also maybe that different drakes tend to be more aggressive sexually some even trying to mate a dog or us. I have never had to deal with these issues. My Muscovy drake is my problem boy only because he was raised by me when his mama tried to kill him when he hatched so he really thinks I am one of his girls :rolleyes: He's only ever grabbed some feathers on a chicken if she happens to get to close but never has he tried to mate one. Will the chickens and your Runners be penned together? or will they be free ranging?

I have ducks and chickens. I have never had a problem with drakes trying to mate the chickens. My lone Muskovy has started sleeping in the chicken coops after his hens were taken. My mallard derived drakes (more than a dozen) don't pay any attention to my chickens. They were not brooded together, nor are they housed together which are both things that can contribute to mating between species. They do free range together every day.

So very sorry to hear about your losses. :hugs

I have drakes[2] and female ducks and chickens and a goose [don't want to leave her out.] I've never had a drake try and mate a chicken hen, But my drakes have always had plenty of female ducks to keep them busy. And mine are free ranging on a little over half acre daily. But my Runner drake and his girls are in a coop at night with the chickens.
It also maybe that different drakes tend to be more aggressive sexually some even trying to mate a dog or us. I have never had to deal with these issues. My Muscovy drake is my problem boy only because he was raised by me when his mama tried to kill him when he hatched so he really thinks I am one of his girls :rolleyes: He's only ever grabbed some feathers on a chicken if she happens to get to close but never has he tried to mate one. Will the chickens and your Runners be penned together? or will they be free ranging?
That is good to hear that your drakes haven't tried to get up to no good with the chickens.

Right now I'm just trying to see how things go, since I only have the one duck and the drake, sadly. I don't know how flirtatious he is going to be now that he is three years old( I think). The duck is being broody at the moment and thus spending a lot of time sitting on rocks and keeping them nice and toasty, lol! But he goes into the coop off and on and sits with her. Its kind of cute. But once she grows tired trying to hatch those rocks, I don't know if he is going to take a turn and become too lusty for her. I'm hoping that won't be the case. He's been a good drake; none of the other girls in the past had a problem with him, but then again there were four ladies to go around for him then..If he starts getting too wild I might have to get another duck. Maybe a neighbor a few streets over wouldn't mind parting with an older one that doesn't lay as often..

I still want to get chickens in the future, especially the jersey giants. I will just have to see if that is going to be far in the future or nearer. It all depends on him I guess.

I have ducks and chickens. I have never had a problem with drakes trying to mate the chickens. My lone Muskovy has started sleeping in the chicken coops after his hens were taken. My mallard derived drakes (more than a dozen) don't pay any attention to my chickens. They were not brooded together, nor are they housed together which are both things that can contribute to mating between species. They do free range together every day.
Thank you; that is reassuring, but I only have the one coop/run, and bird yard. So they would have to crash together at night. Chickens up high, and duckies on the floor.

That is good to hear that your drakes haven't tried to get up to no good with the chickens.

Right now I'm just trying to see how things go, since I only have the one duck and the drake, sadly. I don't know how flirtatious he is going to be now that he is three years old( I think). The duck is being broody at the moment and thus spending a lot of time sitting on rocks and keeping them nice and toasty, lol! But he goes into the coop off and on and sits with her. Its kind of cute. But once she grows tired trying to hatch those rocks, I don't know if he is going to take a turn and become too lusty for her. I'm hoping that won't be the case. He's been a good drake; none of the other girls in the past had a problem with him, but then again there were four ladies to go around for him then..If he starts getting too wild I might have to get another duck. Maybe a neighbor a few streets over wouldn't mind parting with an older one that doesn't lay as often..

I still want to get chickens in the future, especially the jersey giants. I will just have to see if that is going to be far in the future or nearer. It all depends on him I guess.
Getting him a few more females would really help. I love Jersey giants they are awesome chickens. She sounds like my Muscovy girls I do believe they would hatch snake eggs if they found some.
We can only give you our experience because every drake is different.

Back
Top Bottom