Adding color to my flock...want kind birds.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Big Red's Mom, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I would like to add some different colored birds to my flock....
    I already have RIR, Buff Orp.,Dom mix, WR/BR Mix and A white EE.
    I would love a Black chicken and some multi colored chickens.
    I have heard that some can be aggressive and nasty. I have a 7 year old that helps with my birds so I need nice girls......I have been looking on the different web sites and I wanted to hear from real bird owners....

Any suggestions?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Maybe a black Orpington or an Australorp? A blue Orpington? A speckled Sussex? Those are all nice birds and very pretty. Maybe even a splash Orpington? Faverolles are sweet, pretty and different from what you have. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions!

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I love my White Faced Black Spanish - beautiful birds and good layers. Mine have quite a personality too - very inquisitive and friendly.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am going to second the suggestion of Orps as a good bet for a friendly black-feathered chicken. See if you can find some Blue or Splash Orpingtons.

Other ones that come to mind as friendly breeds are Barnevelders, Jersey Giants, and Delawares.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    We loved our black australorp - very gentle and a great layer. I've also heard that black giants are friendly, but they do take a long time before they start laying because they are so busy growing their huge selves.

6. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    I also think that black australorps are pretty and good natured birds. They have that green sheen to their feathers that is really pretty on a sunny day! [​IMG]

7. BantamMom13720

BantamMom13720 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2007
    Spotsylvania , VA
    Have you thought of Silkies? They come in some wonderful colors- I have blacks, Splashes and reds- they have WONDERFUL personalities, are good little layers and excellent brooders. They are also very docile and easy to tame- great around kids. And adorable to look at.

Ideal Poultry seems to have the best color selections of them.

Good luck deciding!

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Definately get some Orpingtons, black, or white, or blue [​IMG] Check here for more information. [​IMG]

9. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    I only have EEs and BRs but both are very friendly. Plus EEs come in all different colors. I also really like the patterns BRs have. My EEs and BRs are always looking for attention and I think both would be good with children.

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My Russian Orloffs are like live stuffed toys-very sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by