Adding DE to the run?

vjbakke

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
MN
What is the process for adding DE to the run? Just sprinkle it on the droppings? How often? Do it with the chickens in the run or while they are in the coop? I have read that DE in the run will keep the odor down and dry out the droppings, I'm just not sure how to use it. We do use it in the coop, I sprinkle it on the areas that have the most droppings.

I use the food grade DE and I just sprinkle a little bit in their run. I also put it in the pine shaving inside their coop. It works great. However I understand you should not inhale the dust of the DE. My hubby used to work with it all the time and he says it is really bad for your lungs. I use a dust mask when I'm adding it to their run and coop. Also when I clean out the pine shavings.

Quote:
what is sweet pdz ? Do you put it in anything special to sprinkle it? to control how much is used? I have been using an old yogurt container, kinda tricky to get it even. How often do you apply it?

Quote:
what is sweet pdz ? Do you put it in anything special to sprinkle it? to control how much is used? I have been using an old yogurt container, kinda tricky to get it even. How often do you apply it?

http://www.sweetpdz.com/

there's a pdf about use for chickens on this website

i just mix a cup or so in with the pine shavings

Back
Top Bottom