Adding full grown hens to my small flock

OlivenhainChickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
I have two hens right now (a Rhoade Island Red and a White Leghorn). I want to add three more chickens so I can have more eggs for my large family.

There's a place not too far from me that sells full grown hens. I was thinking about getting three of those rather than waiting until spring to get three new chicks.

Does it make sense to buy three full grown hens right now? Will they all get along?

If you want to buy full grown hens, you need to have a seperate area to keep them, far from your other chickens for at least a month to make sure you don't bring something yucky home to your current birds.
smile.png

First, you will need to quarantine any new birds for at least a month to make sure that you don't introduce any disease to your current flock.

Then you will need to place the hens where they can see each other, but not get at each other. For example, divide a run with chicken wire. After they are acquainted, you can remove the divider. There will be some fighting until the "pecking" order is determined.

Good Luck!!

Cindy

then after quarantine for 30 days you need to keep them where they can all see each other but not be able to peck at each other then slowly combine them I used a dog kennel to keep them together but seprate then let them all free range so they could escape any that tried to bully and after a few days they all went to roost together...

edited for spelling

Last edited:
This is awesome info! I'm going to bring in some more chickens into my flock soon as well so I'm glad this was out!

I'd recommend that you get point-of-lay pullets rather than hens. This way you will know that they are not spent hens who will eat a lot but only lay a couple of times per week.

Enjoy your enlarged brood!

Back
Top Bottom