Adding Giant Runt to chicken coop

rivergirl92

Hatching
Aug 5, 2016
I have 6 layers. I'd like to know if it's possible to add 3-4 Giant Runt pigeons in with my chickens. If so, would I need a raised entry for them into the coop, or will giant runts go thru a ground entry?
Also, can runts be allowed to free range during the day, shut in at night?
Thanks!

I have 6 layers. I'd like to know if it's possible to add 3-4 Giant Runt pigeons in with my chickens. If so, would I need a raised entry for them into the coop, or will giant runts go thru a ground entry?
Also, can runts be allowed to free range during the day, shut in at night?
Thanks!
It is possible.

But, maybe not a good idea for the following reason...

Chickens may attack and injure pigeons inside the close confines of the coop.

Chickens will kill and eat any pigeon squabs in nest boxes (so you can't allow pigeons to breed in same coop as chickens).

I keep some pigeons with my BANTAM chickens OK. But they have huge coop and free range most of the time... and I never allow my pigeons to hatch out eggs in there.

Also I would not let Giant Runt pigeons free range without you being there to watch them... they are very bad flyers and easy pickings for predators.

As they are so big they will like to use ground entry pop holes no problem.

I would advise splitting your coop in 2 parts.. one for pigeons the other for chickens... or else just build a simple pen for your Giant Runts... as then you can breed them and not worry.

I second what jak said. Best to section you coop so that they are separate. It can be done, but is especially risky with large breed chickens. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

The key to keeping pigeons with chickens (IME) is you can only keep breeds of pigeons that fly well, like homers and rollers. They need to be able to fly away from the chickens when they want to, something Runts can't do. You also need to figure out a way to feed the pigeons where the chickens can't get their food, and if you breed them they need to be closed away from the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom