Adding indian runner in a flock with a Rouen and Appleyard drakes?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
In the spring I am thinking of adding a couple of runner females to my flock, but I'm not sure if it's a problem to have Indian runner females in with my production Rouen and Silver Appleyard drakes. I do have 7 females and might get a few more females too. what are your thoughts? Thank you

Runners are very small especially compared to silver appleyards. I think it can work depending on your drakes. My black runner was injured by one of my female Cayugas. So if your drakes are pushy, this could be a potential problem. My saxony drake, which is bigger breed than silver appleyard, has ignored my runners. He has never injured my khaki Campbell which is almost as small as them. But I am not sure how well my runners would do with him if they catch his eye.

I wish I had a picture that showed the size difference, but none of them illiterate how much smaller they are.

What is your current drake to female ratio?

Runners are very small especially compared to silver appleyards. I think it can work depending on your drakes. My black runner was injured by one of my female Cayugas. So if your drakes are pushy, this could be a potential problem. My saxony drake, which is bigger breed than silver appleyard, has ignored my runners. He has never injured my khaki Campbell which is almost as small as them. But I am not sure how well my runners would do with him if they catch his eye.

I wish I had a picture that showed the size difference, but none of them illiterate how much smaller they are.

What is your current drake to female ratio?
2 drake and 7 female. This last spring was bad with the drakes. I am currently waiting on getting more females until we get the new duck house and pen made, the current duck house is too small

2 drake and 7 female. This last spring was bad with the drakes. I am currently waiting on getting more females until we get the new duck house and pen made, the current duck house is too small
I can definitely see why you want to add more females. One thing you could do is keep the old coop and pen for the males during the breeding season when they are especially bad. A lot of us put our drakes in drake jail during worse time of the breeding season. That also may make it work better if you add some runners.

I can definitely see why you want to add more females. One thing you could do is keep the old coop and pen for the males during the breeding season when they are especially bad. A lot of us put our drakes in drake jail during worse time of the breeding season. That also may make it work better if you add some runners.
The problem with keeping the old pen is, we are putting the new pen in the same spot just making it bigger. In the spring I did block the boys off in a corner in the pen with a baby gate and that worked pretty well during the day. And together at night. And the new duck house I am planning to put in a countertop inside and put chicken wire along the underside of it with a gate for a cage for the boys if I need to separate them or injured ducks. I do already have a little duck in the flock, it was supposed to be a full-size welsh harlequin but I think she had one call duck parent because she is not full sized but not call ducks size either

The problem with keeping the old pen is, we are putting the new pen in the same spot just making it bigger. In the spring I did block the boys off in a corner in the pen with a baby gate and that worked pretty well during the day. And together at night. And the new duck house I am planning to put in a countertop inside and put chicken wire along the underside of it with a gate for a cage for the boys if I need to separate them or injured ducks. I do already have a little duck in the flock, it was supposed to be a full-size welsh harlequin but I think she had one call duck parent because she is not full sized but not call ducks size either
Sounds like you have a good plan for your drakes, and you are already familiar with how the drakes will handle a small female. If you have space, I would think about also getting a couple larger females too. I would probably wait to add the runner females into the flock until they are mature. Otherwise, I think it should be ok. You are aware of the potential issues and have a plan to deal with it.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your drakes, and you are already familiar with how the drakes will handle a small female. If you have space, I would think about also getting a couple larger females too. I would probably wait to add the runner females into the flock until they are mature. Otherwise, I think it should be ok. You are aware of the potential issues and have a plan to deal with it.
3767133E-4A45-4DE1-83B6-6D6CB3745CFA.jpeg
394FA993-3F0E-4310-A9AE-6ADBDDAD0A1E.jpeg
FDB641E6-ADD6-4835-BDDB-6A74B1C52248.jpeg

The duck on the left is my little duck sparrow. On the right is the same breed welsh harlequin and her name is Frosty

Back
Top Bottom