Adding Leghorns?

There will be a bit of a fight. The fight to establish a new pecking order can be quick, or long, depends on the willingness of one to lose a place in the pecking order. If you are looking to add hens, is not going to be as difficult as introducing roosters.
Luckily there are no roosters and won’t be adding any either, can’t where I live.
I guess I’ll just have to see how firm Delilah is in her position as Queen B

Luckily there are no roosters and won’t be adding any either, can’t where I live.
I guess I’ll just have to see how firm Delilah is in her position as Queen B
I ve never had a problem introducing pullets/cockerels/hens to a flock, especially if a flock is not that big.
For example i had problems when i introduced 1-2 roosters in a 20-30 flock.
Im sorry that you cant own a rooster, for me knowing that i can hatch chicks from my own rooster and hen is the cherry on top.

Do you?! Can you tell me why lol I really wanted Rhode Island Red’s but I would have to wait till next April and start with chicks… and the Leghorns are ready now and I wouldn’t have to mess with the brooder!
They lay wonderfully, and nice size eggs. They come in most every single color that chickens come in.

I moved over to heritage ones, because they tend to have longer life expectancies than the high production whites from the hatcheries. But, they are all great.

They are a bit flightier as chicks... but mellow well as hens (except for my dark brown rose comb leghorns, wild girls! But it made them very predator resistant).

I ve never had a problem introducing pullets/cockerels/hens to a flock, especially if a flock is not that big.
For example i had problems when i introduced 1-2 roosters in a 20-30 flock.
Im sorry that you cant own a rooster, for me knowing that i can hatch chicks from my own rooster and hen is the cherry on top.
I would love to own a rooster! When we grow out of this house, I’ll make sure our next one is zoned for roosters ◡̈

They lay wonderfully, and nice size eggs. They come in most every single color that chickens come in.

I moved over to heritage ones, because they tend to have longer life expectancies than the high production whites from the hatcheries. But, they are all great.

They are a bit flightier as chicks... but mellow well as hens (except for my dark brown rose comb leghorns, wild girls! But it made them very predator resistant).
Yayy! Hopefully I’ll grow to love them too. They sound like my Whiting True Blues.

And though they rarely go broodies, they are fierce and excellent moms.

Here is a dark brown rosecomb with chicks:
20190815_171121.jpg

And here is a white x with a dark brown, they end up with that pretty cream wash/lacing on the neck.
20180729_184204.jpg

Back
Top Bottom