Adding my first rooster (Questions and Pricing)

Well I guess just because everyone else wants 30-40 bucks for theirs but seems pretty legit, and he says that later on down the line he'll let me buy a hen from him as well but he wants to see how dark the eggs turn out
I think I will get them from him.
I'd probably be 3 week old chicks, do i have to isolate them from my other 2 week chicks as well? I have an extra tank I can use but its alooot smaller, is iso important with babies?
Thanks again!

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio.
love.gif
You have a lovely flock of chickens! Looks like you have plenty of hens to keep one rooster happy I say ONE rooster, since you're wanting to raise a FEW chicks I've found that roosters can be kind & gentle, but as they get used to their hens, they become more demanding of them and less kind in the matings. I've locked up my roo & my hens are calmer.
frow.gif

Unless you want some fancy marans!

I expect around $4.50 for hens... cuckoo or hatchery quality French Black... but I also expect about $40.50 for a dozen eggs of Wayde-Jean lines. It's all about what you want!

Meyer and McMurray hatchery (and probably My Pet Chicken) have some deals on marans, they just aren't good for showing.

Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone
smile.png

Yes I love my chickies
big_smile.png

Yes, I'm not really showing or even planning on breeding I guess I just get caught up in all that fancy stuff haha
smile.png

Thanks everyone for your help, I've been kind of off and on regarding a rooster (if it's a good thing to get) and I've been reading some threads. I think my hens could really use the protection.

welcome-byc.gif

Most people will GIVE you their roos. Don't buy a roos for $40 unless you're really interested in breeding and showing.
barnie.gif

If you lived in Montana, I would give you one of my roos. A RIR at that. Look on craigslist or peruse the ads here. People are giving away roos. You may be able to find one in the Austin area.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
If you lived in Southern California I would GIVE you two Marans roos. I have a Wheaten and a Black Copper I need to find homes for. Both are good boys and 15 weeks old. I paid $10 for my Marans chicks. I think 30 for a Roo is CRAZY!. There are so many free roosters on Craigslist. I see first year laying hens of all different breeds going for around $30.

I think we were going to pay $20 for our roo but it they met us half way so we offered to pay for gas. I think hubby through in a little extra because the money was going to the kids who actually raised the chickens. They had to pay for the feed and then kept all the money they made from selling the eggs. He is an almost 1 year old Americauna and very friendly as far as a rooster goes. He takes good care of his hens.

I had friends who were willing to give us a silkie rooster for free but we wanted a blue or green egg laying rooster so we could have EE chicks. Also, hubby doesn't like the feathers on the feet.

Depends on where you live I guess. I bought my BR roo for $8 at about 1 yr old... really nice and friendly roo too. There is a local guy that sells Marans chicks for $3 ea but he wants $25 for a hen.... roo is cheaper and he does a pkg deal of 5 hens and a roo for $125.

Try asking on the Austex Poultry Group on yahoo. Quite often people post that they want to re-home their roosters. You have to join the group but it's very worth it. Nice people with good advice, local to Austin and Central Texas. With the mix of breeds of hens you have, I wouldn't think the breed of rooster shouldn't matter so much just so long as it's the same as at least one of them.

I have roosters I'd be willing to give you if you were in the DFW area or coming this way. I have Ideal Ameracunas and Ideal Ameracuna Rhode Island Red crosses.
love.gif
: Angelique

Back
Top Bottom