Adding new birds to the flock?

DCSquirrel

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
What is the best way to add some new pullets to my flock of four four month old birds? The first impression was they didn't like the new little guys. I got a couple new RIR bantams pullets that have their feathers but are considereably smaller then the other birds. Should I let them mature a little bit before introduciing them? Thanks

Hi there!

Well, I've integrated into my flock a couple of times. First time when they were just a couple of weeks old with absolutely no problem

The second time, the older ladies were about four months old, and I integrated a couple that were two months younger, and it was terrible!!! I had kept them where they could see each other, but not interact for the first two months, and when I took the fence seperating them down, they woke up the next morning and you would have thought that world war three had started in the coop.

I am currently in the process of a third and final integration. I have them seperated, but they free range together. Every time one of the older hens come toward my chicks, I get between them, and let them know that these are my chicks. They are now about 8 weeks old, and i have been lessening my interaction in the flock. I am only having problems with the two broody hens chasing the young ones now, but they chase everyone. I'd say this integration is going as smooth as the first one did, but they are still seperated at night and when they are not free-ranging. Since this integration is not complete, i can't say it works yet.

Good luck to you!!!

I have a seperate smaller coop inside the pasture area that I put the new chicks in and give everyone a chance to "get to know each other". Every couple days I let new chicks out and just c how it goes. Sometimes they fight ro much and r mean,so I put everyone back in their coop, one day I just let them out and they get along. You will know, all the squabling stops everyone just minds their own business. Hope this help, good luck!
hmm.png

My hens are usually good except a few grumpy ones. I pull the grumpy ones out for a few days while I introduce the new birds. I add the new birds at dusk so they can see each other and know the other is there but too tired to really do any thing about them. there are usually a few squabbles but you will have that. Next I add my 2 grumpy girls in last. I wait to add them so at least the rest of the flock gets along with them and knows them. It makes for a smoother transition. Good luck!

I have got 5 cuckoo maran Hens,we tried introducing another Hen and its been 3wks and they still go after her and wont let her in the yard pen,we had her alone in a pen next to them for a week before we put her in with them.Recently we got a rooster who is 2-3 mths done the same thing with him and he is getting the same treatment. we put him back in the pen next to them to be safe. the new hen we added treats him the same way,any suggestions as to what i should do so they are all in the same pen.we also have chicks in the house that we want to intro eventually but are unsure what to do now

Back
Top Bottom