Adding new birds to your flock

BirdTurd

Hatching
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Central Jersey
Hello

I currently have 2 cochin bantams and would like to add a different breed to the flock but don't know what would be compatable. My cochins are very gentle and quiet but they haven't laid an egg in 6 months and I'd like to add 2 new birds that were egg layers. I was thinking wyandotte bantams but have no experience with them ...I read they were dominant which might be a problem with my docile cochins. Anybody have experience with these breeds?

Thanks for your help!
Lena

I've never had any wyandottes (bantam or LF) but my neighbor has a few of each size and they are pretty low on her pecking order (even below her Cochins). Do your bantam Cochins ever go broody? If they do, perhaps you could give them some eggs and let them hatch and raise the chicks. That would help integrate them into your flock easier, and give your docile Cochins a leg up in the pecking order. I have LF Cochins and some EEs, and though they are very docile and friendly with me and my children, they don't take any crap off the EE girls (or the roosters for that matter). What about bantam orpingtons? They are also a very docile breed, maybe they would mesh well with your mellow birdies....I used to have 4 standard Orps and they were lovely girls, unless they were broody. Then you had to run for your life
hide.gif
My BOs were also great layers, especially in the winter. Good luck!

Thanks Nikki for the great info!

Yes my cochins were broody all summer long even without any eggs under them! I like all your ideas ...especially the one where I let them hatch some eggs and raise the babies! That would be awesome watching them in the yard with little chicks under their feet!

The only problem is they aren't laying any eggs to go broody over. Not even one in 6 months. I feed them layer feed, scratch grains and salad greens ...plus they get to cruze the yard a few times a week.

Can they rear a clutch in the winter? I'm in NJ where it goes down into single digits in January.

Thanks again
Lena

Back
Top Bottom