Adding new chickens to a flock

chase2378

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
Hello all, I just purchased 3 new poullets(I'm not sure how old they are but they are good size and have layed already) to add to my alreadyflock of 3 hens(Reds) & 2 Roosters. Of course the guys from the local poultry club that I bought them from at the fair said" No problem with adding them to your existing flock, just put em right in".

Well, I did, and they have been terrorized by all of the other birds ever since. What should I do? Will they all get along eventually?? Help!!

Thanks!!
chase2378

There are a number of posts regarding introducing new birds to an existing flock. The quick and dirty answer is to separate them but make it so they can see each other for a while. After they have gotten used to each other, then you can test the waters. Like I mentioned, search on the topic and you will find a ton of great information. Good luck!!!

Well, it's probably too late now, but you should keep them quarantined for a month totally away from your flock. As a seller of a bird, I'd tell people to do that with my own birds even though they've never been ill. It's just good practice. Illness can take over a month to show up and you can lose your entire flock. The man who sold you the birds was irresponsible and uncaring to tell you to just put them right in. Burns me up!

Check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12751

Last edited:
We had the same problem with a group of polish we purchased (on impulse) from the feed store, and our larger flock. We had them in a chicken tractor in the main yard for weeks, and just couldn't get them to take to each other. One problem could have been how totally different in size they were - the polish are tiny! On advise from this forum, we got rid of all but one rooster in our main flock, and the two polish roosters, and then they were able to merge with no problem. Turns out, though, one of the hens was actually a rooster anyway. Short story is, though, we got rid of all the aggressive roosters and they joined together nicely. GOOD LUCK.

They tell me
old.gif
that the number you introduce should be the same or more than the existing flock, so try a couple of hens first and put them in at night so they all wake up together. When they get on OK try adding the roosters but move everything you can in the coop so it looks different, with a bit of luck it'll distract their attention!

Otherwise fill up their food and water and go away for a long weekend ...............
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom