Adding new chickens to my existing flock and what breeds would mix best?

tgerl

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Hi there!
I am new to BYC and fairly new to chicken keeping! We got six one year old Isa Browns last summer and after only losing one along the way our existing five have made it through our brutal Canadian winters and are doing quite nicely(in a bit of a molt right now I think)
Now I want to add more chickens to my flock!
smile.png
While I am not that adventurous to hatch eggs on my own, I have been thinking about getting some younger chickens this go around, maybe 3 weeks or so. I am planning on keeping them isolated from my girls for a month to be safe, but after that I will probably keep them separated by chicken wire for awhile. Will my girls pick on the younger new girls(I hope just girls!) because they are younger, and what breeds will go best with Isa Browns? Although I have never had a problem with my girls(besides the occasional attack on our dog!) I have read that Isa Browns can be a more aggressive breed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated for this new but loving it chicken keeper!!
Thanks!

Howdy from Kansas, tgerl, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you are doing everything right - there will be come pecking order squabbles but they should be okay with the precautions you've taken. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom