Adding new chicks

DaveK88

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Killingly Ct.
We got our new chicks 4 days ago and we really love them. Unfortunatly we lost 2 in the first 2 days and are now down to 4. we are going to get another 6 this week ( the minimum we can buy in CT.) My question is can I put the new chicks in the same brooder with the original 4 or should they be seperate? The difference in age should should only be about a week or so.

It should be fine to put them together. I bought some EE's one week and got more the next week and put them all together. They settled in fine and the first ones didnt pay any attention to the new ones.

welcome-byc.gif

It should be fine to mix the chicks with in 2 weeks of age give or take. I have 6 3 week old ameraucana's with 20 4-5 week old Rhode Island Reds and they are getting along fine!!!

Nate

Last edited:
Welcome, and I usually buy chicks every week in spring for about three weeks before I get everything I am looking for, I put the new ones in with the others and every thing went well.

They'll be fine, I purposefully picked out 2 chicks from a breeder, yesterday, that were about the same size the ones I had at home. They all are doing great, however my previous 6 chicks were scared of the feathers on the new frizzle. They settled down before bed time and were all sleeping near each other.

Back
Top Bottom