adding new chicks

newchknmama

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Middleton ID
I have 5 chicks that are 4 weeks old and 2 are suspiciously roo. So if I replace them, is it better to replace them this year with a few new ones and add them all togther as youngsters this first year (I would brood the little ones alone first) or would it be ok to add new ones next year when my girls are a year old? I want to replace them now.. and my hubby said wait til next year
rant.gif

I personally would replace/add them now. I think waiting a year would be more difficult. I just added a baby yesterday and my 4 week olds accepted her no problems. To my surprise, they are not even stepping on her. They move to the side or jump over her. I must have a real nice flock of girls. I could never wait. We were only going to have 2 hens. Somehow I fell in love and now we have 5.
love.gif
The coop is no where near being finished either.

Last edited:
I would recommend waiting, at least on getting rid of the ones that you think are roos. I have one that I thought was a roo at 4 weeks, but now they are 7 weeks and she is definitely not a roo. At that young of an age, it can be somewhat difficult to determine for certain.

Thank you, I wasn't planning on rehoming the suspects until I know they are roos, but I didn't want to wait too long in getting the new possible replacers. And my feed store just got some easter eggers and Silver Spangled hamburgs so I am oh so tempted.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom