adding new member to flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazychixlad, Jul 17, 2011.

1. crazychixlad

crazychixlad New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    I am having trouble adding one new pullet to my other 5 gals. The new one is a bit younger than the others. My dominant one keeps picking on her and the others don't seem to be so much into the pecking at her. I put my dominant one in a kennel in the run to see if the new one may have a chance to fit in with the others but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do.Please help!

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Hi, well unfortunately most every time you add a new member to the flock the "pecking order" is messed with. So a new "pecking order" must be established (really its just putting the new chicken in its place/where it belongs in the flock). Since you said that the new pullet you added is younger she will probably end up on the bottom of the "pecking order".

It will take some time, every flock is different though. I added two new bigger hens to my younger flock a while back needless to say I had to get rid of one that was constantly being mean. But the other on is now treated like it has always been with them and they get along perfectly fine! It did take them a few weeks (around a month).

I guess what tip I could give you is look for any missing feathers on the new pullet from where the others have pulled them out. If they start pulling feathers remove her ASAP. Once they start they dont quit they will end up killing her. As long as sh doesnt get to "cocky" to the dominant hen she should fit in just fine after a bit.

Dont worry it is a VERY stressful time for us. But you just have to let them settle it. I normally just watch them a while and will come in a put the dominant hen in her place if need be.

Hope this helps at all..... [​IMG]

Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by