Adding new pullets to existing flock

jennking412

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2018
Good evening,

Im trying to integrate my new birds to my existing flock but have a few questions and concerns. I currently have 3 hen and one rooster that are one year old. I purchased 8 pullets and they are 12 weeks old. ( can't believe I got all pullets) I moved the young ones to their new coop ( 8x12 ) about 3 weeks ago. The one year olds are in their existing coop (4x8 ) I was concerned that the 4x8 would be a little small for 12. The young girls are divided with a fenced and the coop from the older ones. I have let 2 older hens inside one at a time on separate days, nothing major has happened. Yesterday I let my rooster in and he was soo good to the girls, he stayed about 30 mins then out to free range. He wanted in later for another visit and after about 3 mins he grabbed one of the pullets on her neck and plucked feathers. Im not sure if this was an attempt to breed her or a dominate move. Free range area is 6 acres, open acres, tree cover, barn open on one side with plenty of room to hide and all fenced. so my questions are:
Do mature roosters know that pullets are to young to breed ?
Is it best to meet and greet the older ones each individually ?
My alfa hen is the one that hasnt been in yet...
so does integration occur when they are closer in size ? closer to lay ? let them out all at once when its time or in small numbers ?
any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I always integrate chicks, 6-10 weeks. It takes a month or two, or even longer before I feel they are fully integrated and I'm comfortable leaving everyone together. Integration is a long slow process sometimes, and other times it's quick and simple. Amount of space will often dictate that, as well as personalities of the birds.

Some roosters are good, others not so much. A mature rooster should know better than to mate chicks, but some don't. I personally don't consider any rooster mature at a year. It generally takes 2 years or more for most to mature both physically and mentally.

I would. I seem to be more cautious than most. I have invested time and money in my chicks and prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

It usually takes about a week or two of supervised mingling before I feel safe letting them mingle when I'm away, and I often don't leave them out at night for a month or two with the big ones.

Thank you!!!
I will take it slow and maybe give a brief visit one at a time while I’m right there...
This pecking order can be brutal I’m learning from others post

I am one who has seen the brutality of chickens. I learned many lessons the hard way long before there was an internet to help educate people.

I'm still learning stuff too, it's cool to see how others are doing stuff, and what they are seeing with their birds. It definitely is much easier with the internet. :)

Im not sure if this was an attempt to breed her or a dominate move.
Did he get on top of her or just grab same feathers and then leave her alone? If he didn't chase her down and badger/beat her I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's part of chicken society.

A 'good' cockbird will not try to mate an immature pullet. I had a 1yo cock behave very well with young pullets, he did do some dominance moves but never mounted them until they were ready to lay. Have read of even younger cockerels with this skill....and many stories about the opposite.

Sounds like you have a great setup. I like how you put one hen at a time into the new coop with the youngsters, good test. The 8x12 coop being 'new territory' to the older birds surely helped. Have you tried putting both the hens in there at the same time?

Not sure what to suggest doing next. Maybe letting them all free range together? Or first letting the youngers free range while the olders are confined? If the cock misbehaves, crate him up while the girls roam together. Are there runs attached to the coops?

Did he get on top of her or just grab same feathers and then leave her alone? If he didn't chase her down and badger/beat her I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's part of chicken society.

A 'good' cockbird will not try to mate an immature pullet. I had a 1yo cock behave very well with young pullets, he did do some dominance moves but never mounted them until they were ready to lay. Have read of even younger cockerels with this skill....and many stories about the opposite.

Sounds like you have a great setup. I like how you put one hen at a time into the new coop with the youngsters, good test. The 8x12 coop being 'new territory' to the older birds surely helped. Have you tried putting both the hens in there at the same time?

Not sure what to suggest doing next. Maybe letting them all free range together? Or first letting the youngers free range while the olders are confined? If the cock misbehaves, crate him up while the girls roam together. Are there runs attached to the coops?

Back
Top Bottom