Adding pullets/removing roosters, do I really need to keep them apart?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ambeaux, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Ambeaux

Ambeaux Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Out of five randomly picked chicks from our feedstore's heritage bin, we are the not-so-proud owners of four roosters. The good news is that since they are all heritage birds we have actually had little trouble finding homes with local breeders who are excited about new blood stock for their flocks. One roo has already gone off to his new flock and we have plans to get rid of the other three all at once and, on the same day, replace them with pullets from breeders at our poultry swap (so that our only pullet doesn't have a nervous breakdown being by herself). Most of the new pullets will be coming from the same breeder, should I act as tho they are an existing flock that I need to add our pullet to or do I throw them in together right from the beginning?

Cheers!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can keep the ones together that have already been together and still maintain the principle of quarantine if they are separate from your one current female. (I'm not positive I understood your question; I'm certainly not trying to be unpleasant, and am sorry if it sounded that way!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by