Adding Roo to flock NEED ADVICE

sunsetfarms170

Chirping
May 20, 2020
We just got our first 9 chicks in March/April. We were hoping one would be a roo, but got all hens. Our ladies are 10-11 weeks old. We are getting a Barred Rock Roo delivered today, he is 9-10 weeks old. Is there anything we need to do to introduce. How should we go about introducing, sleeping arrangements, changes we need to make to accommodate him in the coop.

Put him in a dog crate in the coop for a couple days so the females can get used to him. If the male or the females don't show signs of agression to each other, you should be able to let the male out of the crate. What are you feeding the pullets?

Ok will do. One or two of our hens definitely dont seem to be a fan. Will they adjust?
We are feeding starter Scratch and Peck.

We have grower food to start soon, but was finishing the last feeder of starter. Will it harm them or stunt their growth or laying? I'd say they only have 2 or 3 more days left in feeder.
Mix the two feeds together, before you run out. At first, just 1/4 new grower feed, then 1/2 in a couple of days Then 3/4 new, 1/4 old. Sudden changes are more difficult.

We have grower food to start soon, but was finishing the last feeder of starter. Will it harm them or stunt their growth or laying?

Absolutely not. If you were raising specialty chickens, for show or the Cornish X for meat for example, how you feed them is relatively important. But you are not. Your chickens can handle it. And you are doing exactly what I'd do in your situation, feed one until it runs out. When I switch from one to another, I switch. Nothing gradual about it. The chickens can handle it.

I don't know what percentage protein your Starter is or what percentage protein your Grower is. I've seen both at 18%. Some companies sell a combined Starter/Grower (usually around 18%) meant to be fed from hatch until they start to lay. Some people can get hung up on marketing names when they don't mean that much.

Some people like Aart feed a 20% protein feed all the time, from hatch until they die, with oyster shell on the side for extra calcium for the ones laying eggs. Some people feed a 24% protein Starter. That's really meant for game birds, not chickens. But when I was raising turkeys with my chicks I fed everyone that 24% Starter for a while, adults as well as growing chicks. It did not hurt them.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about this, You are not doing anything that will hurt your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom