1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding roosters to flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lil Jon s mama, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Lil Jon s mama

Lil Jon s mama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Hello i have an existing flock of six hens 4 & 8yrs old that I'll be adding 8 newbies to. I let my husband and sister in-law talk me into adopting a bantam rooster. Turns out one of my newbie standard EEs is most likely a cockerel. I have the bantam in quarantine still was planning on introducing him to newbies 8/1 and then all together 9/1. Now I think I should regift bantam roo. My husband thinks we should go ahead as planned he insists they will be fine. Any thoughts. This is standard EE red one and bantam EE multi colored. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. hensanpitbulls

hensanpitbulls Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Georgia
    Can someone tell me what kind of rooster this is[​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Try posting on the "What Breed or Gender is This?"

4. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    So I'm going to assume no response means I'm right? 13 hens to 1.5 roosters is a bad idea

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No such thing as .5 rooster, unless he's in a crock pot, and dinner is over. Now, all joking aside, you will have 2 roosters because that little bantam will be just as busy breeding the pullets/hens every 10 minutes as the cockrel will be. The question you need to answer is this: What are your flock goals? Do you want to hatch chicks? If so, do you want to hatch large fowl chicks that will eventually lay nice sized eggs, or do you want to hatch small birds that will lay pee-wee eggs??? I would definitely get rid of one of them. My roo breeds 24 hens with almost 100% fertility, and you can bet that his favorite girls have bare backs. And he's 2 years old. A younger roo will be breeding even more frequently.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Not necessarily. You are working with living animals. There are no absolutes. They may fight it out, with one possibly being injured. Or, one may be content being the subordinate bird, never challenging the other. What's more important than the "ratio" is the personality of your birds. You could have 20 hens and 2 roosters, creating the "perfect ratio" and still have one rooster that wants to be the alpha over all the hens, resulting in fights. You could have 5 hens and 2 roosters, and have those two roosters get along. You don't know until you try. Typically, though, one rooster is plenty for 13 birds. "The ratio" is kind of a standard that large breeders use for optimum fertility - not to keep the roosters from fighting over hens.

7. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    IMO if it's your first time having roosters, 2 roosters at once is a bad place to start.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Ok thanks I guess I'll try introducing bantam to newbies & see how that goes. I should mention they will be in an enclosed pen only free ranging maybe an hour a day. It's a large pen so there should be plenty of room. Fingers crossed it works I'm already attached to both roos. [​IMG]

9. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    I used to have a BR standard who was a sweetheart but I knew early on he was a roo so I handled him often. This EE standard doesn't act like a rooster yet and the bantam makes all rooster sounds but doesn't seem aggressive However he is in isolation since I adopted him. I'm not sure how he'll be with other chickens. I'll try putting his kennel in the newbies run see what happens in one week. I hope hubbie is right & I can keep both.

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

A Danish Brown Leghorn Rooster.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by