Adding to a pair of hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickadee11, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Chickadee11

Chickadee11 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    I have 2 hens, can I just add 1 more? I don't really have room for another 2. How should I do this?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    adding one is tricky as the other two might gang up on her and be mean to her. You also run a risk of bringing in diseases when you add adult birds to your flock. If you do want to add one, I would recommend you add her to the coop at night

3. Chickadee11

Chickadee11 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Do u think it best to put them together at night and separate by day for a while? Should they be able to see each other but not reach the others, how long for? I guess really I will just need to keep an eye.

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Depends on a few things.. Is your new addition younger or older than your existing hens? How od are they? Are they the same breed? Small flocks can be the most difficult integration. I would try a few introductions through a cage for a few days then put her on the roost at night when you do introduce. I find the easiest hen to introduce are ones that fall average to slightly higher in the pecking order among their peers. I know not always possible to have lots of time to chose but sometimes these smaller flocks need careful selection. Also, selecting a different breed then your current hens can be a issue as I find same breeds tend to stick together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by