Adding to my flock but tons of questions!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by KAbs07, Mar 7, 2014.

1. KAbs07

KAbs07 New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Last year around Easter I talked my Husband into letting me get some chicks (I had been bugging him for a while). I just picked up 6 from TSC without giving much thought to where they came from, brought them home and fell in love! I would like to add about 12 or so to my flock this year but after looking into hatchery's I am coming up with some questions. First of all I am trying to go as organic as possible. Do all hatchery's vaccinate their chicks/started pullets? I am having a hard time finding the info about vaccinations online. (maybe I am not looking in the right spot?) Also if you can choose to get chicks/started pullets vaccinated or not which route should I go? Lastly which hatchery would you all recommend, I have read tons of good and bad reviews for most. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Most if not all do not vaccinate unless you order it and pay extra. I doubt seriously that TSC had theirs vaccinated. As a rule, the large hatcheries do not recommend doing it for small flocks, but in the end it is a personal decision. There is lots of info available out there to research. Vaccinating is not going to protect against many of the contagious diseases that chickens can get; there just aren't vaccinations available.

Here are a couple of U. of Fl's documents, one a pretty good overvew oftheir diseases, the other of vaccinations:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

3. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I get all my birds from Cackle (but I have ordered from others). I have always been pleased with their customer service and the quality of my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by