Adding to our Flock

Thanks for the reply!

They are all between 5 - 18 months old and laying. The Plymouth Rock is the youngest, she just started laying few weeks ago. There is a def pecking order established with the plymouth rock and the easter egger being at the top and the two buffs lower on the pecking order, and the one buff for sure at the bottom as the other buff picks on her sometimes with food around.

My coop isn't that big, but big enough to hold at least 3 or 4 more but only adding 2 so I am not over crowding them.
So your coop may be big enough to hold more birds but I dont feel it's big enough for a smooth integration process. I have bought chicks on 3 different occasions so I've had to integrate 2 different times. We have a 35x20 run and both times the chicks have stayed on the farthest end of the run than the bigger ones for a while. Same with the coop. Our coop is 10x10 and the babies stay at the other end (they're not roosting every night yet). I brood in the coop, which I feel makes integration easier. Also, keep in mind that sometimes an older bird just will not accept new ones. I recently went through this and had to rehome one of my bigger girls who was on a mission to kill the younger ones.

So your coop may be big enough to hold more birds but I dont feel it's big enough for a smooth integration process. I have bought chicks on 3 different occasions so I've had to integrate 2 different times. We have a 35x20 run and both times the chicks have stayed on the farthest end of the run than the bigger ones for a while. Same with the coop. Our coop is 10x10 and the babies stay at the other end (they're not roosting every night yet). I brood in the coop, which I feel makes integration easier. Also, keep in mind that sometimes an older bird just will not accept new ones. I recently went through this and had to rehome one of my bigger girls who was on a mission to kill the younger ones.
Thanks for the reply, I have some space I can open up for more room to integrate them safely.

Back
Top Bottom