Adding to the flock

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
I am wanting to add a few more chickens to my flock.
I only have room for around four to five more chickens if some are bantams. I want those 4 to 5 to be different breeds and I am going to admit I AM PICKY I like rarer and less common chickens. I am wanting speckled Sussex, a Mille Fleur d'uccle, a bantam Frizzle cochin, possibly if I can find one a red blue laced Wyandotte. So what is the best way to go around this should I order chicks, I don't really want to do this since a the only place that offers shipping minimum this low is Meyer hatchery and the shipping is $50 which is more than all the chicks in total so it ends up being like 150 or more for only a few chicks, or I could do hatching eggs but I am worried about hatch rate having them shipped in I would get more eggs then the chicks I needed but what IF they all hatched I definitely don't have room for double or triple that amount of chickens, so what is the best way to go around this?
Thanks

Does Ideal have any breeds you like?

IMO, they have the most reasonable small-order policy.

Alternately, if you have the space, you could order enough birds to meet the minimums, choose the ones you like best, then sell the rest.
Who's ideal and I could do that I would just wait till they were pullets to sell because 1. I would get more money for pullets and 2. I would be able to see color.
What about rate of getting live chicks like how often do some or most die on the way. 1 okay but 3 or 4 I don't know

I would either get chicks from a hatchery or keep your eye out on Craigslist and Facebook around your area for the breeds you want.
Yeah that sounds like a good plan probably what I'm going to do I've been checking Craigslist everyday just seems like there's not much of what I'm really looking for but you never know things pop up everyday

Who's ideal and I could do that I would just wait till they were pullets to sell because 1. I would get more money for pullets and 2. I would be able to see color.
What about rate of getting live chicks like how often do some or most die on the way. 1 okay but 3 or 4 I don't know

Ideal Hatchery has been very reliable for me.

Shipped chicks always carries some risk -- which is mainly from the postal service and has little to do with the hatchery -- but I've not gotten a dead chick yet in a couple years of ordering chicks in the mail.

https://www.idealpoultry.com/order_policies

Minimum Order​

The minimum dollar value for an order is $30 in poultry, excluding male only chick orders.

There is no minimum number of chicks you can order as long as your total order of poultry is $30, not including the small order fee and handling.

If your order consists of a very small number of items (less than the equivalent of a quarter of a box), you may be asked to purchase heat packs and/or extra straw to insure the comfort and safety of your chicks during shipment.

Any order cancelled within 48 hours of the scheduled hatch date will be charged a $20.00 processing fee.

Small Order Charges​

For orders of less than one full box of 100, add $7.00 handling charge and for orders between one and two full boxes, add $2.00 handling charges.

Postal Surcharge​

For any order that is shipped, there will be a Postal Surcharge of $10.00 added.

Back
Top Bottom