Adding ventilation without drafts?

Maybe put louvers on the door, to deflect rain and gusting wind, but still have some ventilation.
I'm having a really hard time seeing this in my head. I live in NC where winters are mild and summers are hot. I plan on putting windows in the coop to keep open during the summer (with hardwire cloth for the screen), and had the same idea for a door being hardwire cloth at the top, but I've been trying to figure out how you keep rain from getting into the coop if we have a bad storm and rain is blowing in? I would think roof overhang would keep out the majority of just a regular rain, but there's an excellent chance I'm wrong. I'm a first time chicken keeper and just want to do right by my girls. As I'm in the process of building my coop, I want to make sure I get it right. TIA.

I'm having a really hard time seeing this in my head. I live in NC where winters are mild and summers are hot. I plan on putting windows in the coop to keep open during the summer (with hardwire cloth for the screen), and had the same idea for a door being hardwire cloth at the top, but I've been trying to figure out how you keep rain from getting into the coop if we have a bad storm and rain is blowing in? I would think roof overhang would keep out the majority of just a regular rain, but there's an excellent chance I'm wrong. I'm a first time chicken keeper and just want to do right by my girls. As I'm in the process of building my coop, I want to make sure I get it right. TIA.

Generous roof overhangs, top-hinged windows, and/or awnings all work to keep the rain out of the coop.

This coop -- uninhabited at the time -- went through Hurricane Florence without getting any water inside due to the roof overhangs.
img_0503-jpg.2497638

0121211123a_hdr-jpg.2497694

(more construction details here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/ )

My outdoor brooder has been through several strong storms but my chicks are nice and dry because I put on these metal awnings:
0518211725a_HDR.jpg

0519211937a.jpg

(More construction details here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/ )

This temporary dog-crate-turned-coop is sheltered by generous roof overhangs:
0602211011a.jpg

Louvers like this:

SmartSelect_20210614-200220_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20210614-200208_Samsung Internet.jpg

Or like this:
SmartSelect_20210614-200540_Samsung Internet.jpg

In a coop they would need to be shop vacuumed out on occasion, since all of the poultry dust would get stuck in there... but they would keep out rain and still let in air.

They would NOT let in a breeze though, which you might want in the summer time.

Back
Top Bottom