Adding young chicks with older chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fishman43, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    Can I add a couple of 2 week old chicks to a group of five, 6 week old chicks? There is plenty of space for them, just don't want to have a blood bath. If not, how old before they can be added together?

Thanks

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    IMO the sooner the better, but some may disagree. I've put day olds in with 2 week olds and had success....I would try and then if you see alot of pecking and they aren't thriving, you can always seperate them again! Good luck to you:)

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That age difference is just a week further apart than I would try it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

Right now I have four brooders in my bathroom, one has six week old chicks, one has four? week old chicks, one has chicks almost 2 weeks old, and one has three one-week old ducklings.

I <*ahem*> don't cover my brooders. I think it's a hoot to watch the chicks practice jumping and perching on the edges. And then eventually go exploring... I have some hardware wire separating the 4 wk old chicks and the 6 week old chicks are visiting both of the other chick brooders. There is no bloodshed because they're "not strangers" now. But for brooding them all in one brooder, I would definitely have a divider for at least the first few days. After awhile, you can remove the divider. This is just so the older chicks don't hog the feeders and waterers.

4. Hopeful Peacock

Hopeful Peacock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    middle TN
    I'm glad you posted this question. I'm getting my chiks in 3 batches. Batch #1 is here. Batch #2 will be one week younger. I am hoping I can combine those two. However, batch #3 will be 4 weeks younger than batch #1. I'll be watching this thread.

5. ihavechicks

ihavechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    I have the same question. My checks are 2 weeks old & I just got babies from the store yesterday. The owner of the feed store told me not to put the chickens together until they were full grown. I am interested to see what people say about this topic.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

I mix ages all the time. The largest spread I have handled is 3.5 weeks' difference. Never had any problem. It's sort of distressing to see the older chicks bowl the younger ones over when they take off in the zoomies, but the little ones learn to stay out of their way and/or pop up without injury just fine.

7. Eggcellent Adventure

Eggcellent Adventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    We are hoping to combine as well. We bought the ecobrooder (which we love!) and don't want to have to buy a second one if we can avoid it. I have 3 small kids, so trying to avoid buying a traditional heat lamp. Our new chicks we are hoping to add will be a 2 week age difference. The second chicks will actually be Jersey Giants - I'm hoping at least they might be a bit XL to hold their own with the 2 week older red stars. [​IMG]

8. Borncountry419

Borncountry419 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've had the same experience. In fact, I keep day olds separate for a week to gain strength and grow a tad, then I throw them in with the other chicks. I've never had a problem, and it saves me the trouble of everyone being annoyed because all the outlets are being used. Lol.

9. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    Thanks all. I went back and looked at my dates, and the older chicks are actualy 5 weeks old today not 6. The 2 week old chicks are closer to 3 weeks so it sounds like I will be OK.

Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by