1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding young pullets to rooster coop ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Strader, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I have a question. I have an 23 week old polish rooster and I want to add (10) 7 week old delaware pullets to his chicken coop. There are no other hens, pullets, or roosters in his coop. Will this work out easily? or do i need to put seperate pen in his coop for pullets to live in for a week or two? Thank you very much.

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    It depends on what you want to do. You can probably put them in there with him but be prepared to intervene if neccesary. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since the rooster is sexually mature and the pullets are not, there may be problems. If possible I would suggest waiting until the pullets are more mature.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:Agree
    He could hurt them while attempting to mate them as they are too young and small at 7 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by