Adding young roo to seasoned hens.

macdoogle2

Songster
12 Years
Apr 3, 2011
San Diego
I have a young 13 week old roo/ He is currently hanging out with his hatching mom and half sister in a seperate pen. He is half bantam cochin so not that big. I would like to add him to my flock of 10 full sized hens. I would be adding him alone, without his Mom or sister. Is he too young? When can you add a roo to the flock?

Personally, I would wait until he's a bit larger. Older hens can be brutal to a young cockerel. Once he's got some size and smarts about him, I'd add him at night. He'll still take some bullying but will learn to take control or get his butt kicked regularly.

Quote:
You should wait. I put five 4 month old chicks in with 4 hens. The lowest hen in pecking order attacked the young cockerel and he was bloody in 30 seconds. He was just no match for mature hens....yet. I posted about this and was told to wait till he was a year old.

Quote:
Yeah, a bit larger, like a year old. He`s already at a dissadvantage for size, but being younger, he is a prime target. Wait til he is mature at about a year and he will be able to handle the older girls........Pop

Back
Top Bottom