Additional foods and treats for 5 week old chicks

All chicks love finely chopped hard boiled egg. Spaghetti noodles are also a trip (they chase each other around to grab the noodles out of each others mouths). Mine also love cooked oatmeal. Some feed their chicks chopped grapes and the like or yogurt.

Without grit keep the treats soft and mushy and make sure treats are a small part of their diet with starter being the majority.

When they are a few weeks old mealworms are a HUGE favorite but be sure to introduce grit if they eat mealworms or grass.

Last edited:
All chicks love finely chopped hard boiled egg. Spaghetti noodles are also a trip (they chase each other around to grab the noodles out of each others mouths). Mine also love cooked oatmeal. Some feed their chicks chopped grapes and the like or yogurt.

Without grit keep the treats soft and mushy and make sure  treats are a small part of their diet with starter being the majority.

When they are a few weeks old mealworms are a HUGE favorite but be sure to introduce grit if they eat mealworms or grass.

Thanks for the reply.... i will have to try the noodles....Do you give them live meal worms or the dried ones?

I think live is better (teaches them to forage for live bugs) but most seem to love dried meal worms too. You can buy live mealworms by the thousands online and have them mailed to you.

Last edited:
what the cheapest place and shipping ? thanks
I do occ give my 5 weeks old chicks, worms I find (earthworms). As well as almost everyday ,the Big Hens , wait for me to bring them bugs and worms an occ let Big chickens out before bedtime to forage.. they love it..

I think I paid about $13 or $14 (including shipping) for 1000 live meal worms, bought on amazon from some place in California.

If expense is a big concern meal worms are also fairly easy to raise yourself once you have some to start with (don't buy the jumbo size if you want to raise them though, they are treated with hormones and not good for reproducing).

spaghetti noodles! Never thought of that. I was looking at what to feed when my chicks get a little older. I am trying to think of how to get pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and beans to stick together in little bricks to feed in the fall and winter once a week. I was thinking honey or a bread dough. I am gonna try the noodle thing tonight.

Back
Top Bottom