Adivce on appropriate weather conditions to use a temporary daytime run for 4-5 week old chicks and ducklings

Crylbish

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
Hi - we have (6) 5 week old chicks, (2) 5 week ducklings, and (3) 4 week chicks.
I was wondering about opinions on moving them outside during the day. The permanent coop and run will be completed next week. We constructed a temporary run with chicken wire and a little tykes playhouse that my kids outgrew with the intentionof putting the flock out in the day and letting them sleep in the brooders (they have slightly outgrown the brooders to be in them consistently) inside without a heat sourece at 60-70 degrees during the night. I had them out the other day when it was in the 50°s, but not the last 2 with highs only on the lower 30s. The ducks didn't seem to need the shelter, but the chicks mostly stayed in the shelter next to the heat source. Today it is currently 28° and the high will be 40°. I have a brooder/heater with a 200 watt setting that I put in the little shelter as the heat source. Is it ok to move them out in the current weather conditions for a few hours?

Last edited:
With that heat source, yes, as long as they can stay out of the wind. My 3' x 6' brooder is in the coop. I put chicks in there straight from the incubator or post office, regardless of the outside temperature being below freezing or in the 90's Fahrenheit. I use a heat lamp to keep one end toasty but the far end may have ice in it when it's cold. Others use a heat plate or heating pad to provide heat though some heat plates aren't rated for that cold of a temperature. As long as they are set up properly and the chicks have a warm enough place to go when it's cold and a cool enough place to go when it is hot I find they are very good at regulating heat themselves. This is chicks straight out of the incubator, yours are a lot older.

I've had chicks go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit when they were 5-1/2 weeks old with no supplemental heat. They were raised in my brooder so they had acclimated themselves to colder temperatures. The coop they were in had good ventilation up high and good wind protection down where they were. Yours aren't that far away from being able to handle those temperatures but yours are pretty cold temperatures. Unless you are there to observe them and take them in if they start acting cold I'd want that heat source.

It sounds like that was the first time they had been outside. Some chicks are bolder than others. Some almost immediately go off exploring. But many don't, they aren't used to wide open spaces and need to build up their courage before they roam. It's possible yours were staying close to the heat or maybe a wind was blowing, they usually do not like a cold wind. Don't confuse their nervousness about exploring strange places with their desire to stay warm. If you've seen a broody hen with very young chicks in the cold or even with snow on the ground the chicks spend a lot of time out running around, just going back to the hen to warm up when they get cold.

With that heat source, yes, as long as they can stay out of the wind. My 3' x 6' brooder is in the coop. I put chicks in there straight from the incubator or post office, regardless of the outside temperature being below freezing or in the 90's Fahrenheit. I use a heat lamp to keep one end toasty but the far end may have ice in it when it's cold. Others use a heat plate or heating pad to provide heat though some heat plates aren't rated for that cold of a temperature. As long as they are set up properly and the chicks have a warm enough place to go when it's cold and a cool enough place to go when it is hot I find they are very good at regulating heat themselves. This is chicks straight out of the incubator, yours are a lot older.

I've had chicks go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit when they were 5-1/2 weeks old with no supplemental heat. They were raised in my brooder so they had acclimated themselves to colder temperatures. The coop they were in had good ventilation up high and good wind protection down where they were. Yours aren't that far away from being able to handle those temperatures but yours are pretty cold temperatures. Unless you are there to observe them and take them in if they start acting cold I'd want that heat source.

It sounds like that was the first time they had been outside. Some chicks are bolder than others. Some almost immediately go off exploring. But many don't, they aren't used to wide open spaces and need to build up their courage before they roam. It's possible yours were staying close to the heat or maybe a wind was blowing, they usually do not like a cold wind. Don't confuse their nervousness about exploring strange places with their desire to stay warm. If you've seen a broody hen with very young chicks in the cold or even with snow on the ground the chicks spend a lot of time out running around, just going back to the hen to warm up when they get cold.
Thanks for the response. It is currently 38°F. I think I will take them out. I can see them from my kitchen window and go out and check on them pretty regularly. I guess I was just second guessing if taking them out was the right choice - over protective maybe 😉 but the space and acclimation will benefit them too

There is nothing wrong with being a little over protective. To me the main benefit in taking them out is that you can see when or even that they are capable of handling those temperatures. That can get them out of your house faster and you will worry less. It won't hurt them to not be out there in those temperatures, many people keep them inside for what I consider very long times and the chicks still do fine. But a lot of people want them out of their house and can be surprised at how well the chicks can handle colder temperatures. I think the benefit of putting them out and observing them is more for you than the chicks. That's still a benefit.

Hi - we have (6) 5 week old chicks, (2) 5 week ducklings, and (3) 4 week chicks.
I was wondering about opinions on moving them outside during the day. The permanent coop and run will be completed next week. We constructed a temporary run with chicken wire and a little tykes playhouse that my kids outgrew with the intentionof putting the flock out in the day and letting them sleep in the brooders (they have slightly outgrown the brooders to be in them consistently) inside without a heat sourece at 60-70 degrees during the night. I had them out the other day when it was in the 50°s, but not the last 2 with highs only on the lower 30s. The ducks didn't seem to need the shelter, but the chicks mostly stayed in the shelter next to the heat source. Today it is currently 28° and the high will be 40°. I have a brooder/heater with a 200 watt setting that I put in the little shelter as the heat source. Is it ok to move them out in the current weather conditions for a few hours?
Might help if you block some wind from getting in the run.
I use clear shower curtain liners to cover the sides for wind blocking. Just clip it on.
Clear lets light in, can see out and in. Any clear plastic will do. I use the shower curtain liners because they are big and can be bought at the dollar store.

Back
Top Bottom