Adjusting humidity based on egg weight

jeapa

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 4, 2012
I weighed my pita pintas eggs before setting them 11 days ago. They were in shipping for 5 days so I am not sure how accurate my numbers will be as they must have lost some weight before they got to me. I am trying to figure out if my humidity levels are on track based on the percentage of weight lost. Thus far these eggs have lost 7.1 %. They are due to hatch the evening of 3/22. The average humidity level has been 44%. I have read recommendations of 14-16% loss for fresh laid eggs. Are these eggs on track? Is this even a viable method since they were likely 7-10 days old when I received them?

The 16 eggs were packed well as I only had 2 that were saddled and 1 wiggly air cell. I still have 10-12 that are very much alive and doing well thus far.

This says they weigh 60-65 g each.

How much did they weigh on average a piece when you first got them?

How much did they weigh on average a piece on day 11?

This says they weigh 60-65 g each.

How much did they weigh on average a piece when you first got them?

How much did they weigh on average a piece on day 11?
I took notes and I will look that up. What I did was add all of the weights together and then subtracted to get how much they lost as a group. It cam out as a 7.1% loss. I didn’t figure it separately for each egg.

Yea you can do it like that. 62g times how many eggs you have is basically the same.
Ok so far my eggs have lost an average of 7.1% on day 11. So by day 20 they should have lost an average of 14% correct? I am just trying to make sure they lose the correct amount. This is my first time incubating with an incubator and I don’t want to mess this up. I figured someone with more experience might be able to guess if I maintain the same humidity they are likely to lose the right amount. Thank you.

I go by 13% by day 18, then raise the humidity during lockdown. Can't weigh after lockdown and higher humidity slows down the water loss so after lockdown the weight loss slows down. How much, I don't know but that works for me.

I go by 13% by day 18, then raise the humidity during lockdown. Can't weigh after lockdown and higher humidity slows down the water loss so after lockdown the weight loss slows down. How much, I don't know but that works for me.
Ok. Thank you. I will see where I am at on day 14 and adjust from there. It would be awesome if I ended up with 10-12 live healthy chicks, but I know a lot could go wrong between now and then.

Incubating eggs is more stressful than I thought it would be.

actually the ideal tranpiration is 13% by day 21. So more like 11-12% by day 18.

7.1% sounds like 1.1% too much. That might not sounds like a lot but that is over 10% too much humidity loss so far imo.

I would make some adjustments. I have found the sweet spot in my incubator is 48%, lets assume it is for yours too, so you have been running 4% too low for 11 days (based on your measurements).

I would personally suggest you go for 55% (7% over 48%) to compensate for the final 7 days till lockdown.

On a final note, always aim for slightly too little rather than too much moisture loss. If they have some extra supplies when they are born that is fine, if they run out of moisture then they start feeding on muscle mass instead, weakening the chicks. The consequence of slightly too much moisture is the chicks taking half an hour longer to dry (born wet) but the risk of being born too dry are much more serious causing chicks to get stuck in the shell.

Last edited:
The range is 12%-16% depending on the freshness of the eggs and I wouldn't stress too much. I use the average egg weight as well. I struggle to get mine to lose 12% with the humidity reading 25% in my incubator but I have great hatch rates.

Before I set them I work out the average weight and mark that on a simple line graph with days 0-21 along the bottom and the weight range I will need up the side. Day 0 you mark the start weight. Then you work out whichever percentage of weight loss you are aiming for and work out what their weight should be on day 21. Draw a straight line from the Day 0 mark to the Day 21 mark and then on any day you can reweigh your eggs and see if they are tracking too far from that line. A bit of variance isn't anything to stress about. I've even worked it out for the two extremes so had two lines on my graph (though it's really not necessary - it was more for curiosities sake).

And if you think this bit is stressful wait until they are locked down and you are staring at them, just waiting for 'something' to happen. :gig

Good luck with the hatch and let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom