Adjusting to a temporary nest box/bucket

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
I have read and heard so many times that raising chickens is a trail and error learning experience. I have found that to be true lately. Here is my issue. My coop roof leaks right into my girls nest box. :( It has gotten really bad the last 2 days. The girls laid 2 eggs today which is normal but their nest box shavings were all wet. We have a tarp over the roof but the water is seeping through the tarp. My Hubby gets Tues and Wed off work and we are going to be replacing their roof with a new one that will also give them more room to roost and more ventilation. For now my Hubby put a bucket inside nest box. It's the same diameter as a 5 gal but it is shorter. I made sure that it was cradled in the shavings so it won't rock. But I am afraid it will be too confusing for my girls, they have never had a bucket in the coop before. After their coop roof is fixed their nest box will be back to normal. Do you think they will adjust to the temporary nest bucket?

If it's in their normal spot they'll probably just hop in there and lay their egg without blinking an eye especially if it's comfortable. As long as it's similar to what she's used to using she should be fine. I know that my Bandit used to like to put pine shavings on her back when she was on the floor laying. However, once she got used to laying in the nest box she still tried to cover herself by pulling on the straw pieces to toss on her back. She adjusted fine to the change. I think you'll find it will be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I went out there to take them some scratch and one of my girls was in the bucket. I went out a few minutes later and she was out in the run with the others and sure enough there was an egg in the bucket!

Well I am hoping that today was just a fluke I only got 1 egg. It was next to the bucket we put in there. Hoping tomorrow they go back to a normal 2 to 3 eggs. I really wish that just once they will all 4 lay on the same day.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom