Adopted 6mo hen in quarantine - not laying & blood in stool by 2nd week

Can't believe it's been a year now.

I'll add amoxicillin to my list of chicken first aid products in case this ever happens to another chicken of mine.

For future reference and for other readers, what would be the best order of operations? Treat for worms first then administer the amoxicillin. Or give the antibiotic first for 10 days then proceed to deworm?

-

For those curious, Ella sadly passed away May 10th. I never saw any undigested feed. I still often think of all the things I could've done or tried, like get a fecal float done. I don't know her cause of death. I was too grief-stricken to get a necropsy done and too squeamish to check insider her myself.

Back in February she had a weird episode of green poops only at night and her appetite became sporadic. I did give her yogurt during that time and she loved the stuff. If memory serves, it took her almost a week before her regular appetite returned and her night poops were normal again. I never quite knew what happened or how it resolved. I had let her outside after several days of quarantine to get some sun and dust bathe, and she just spent the whole time gobbling down a ton of dirt. Next thing I knew, she was "better". Got a post here with the details: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...y-decreased-appetite-1-yo-polish-hen.1565748/

Nothing else strange happened so I never expected her to suddenly pass away.

Are birds like humans in the sense that blood in the stool is red if undigested and black/tarry if digested?

I believe so, yes. I haven't encountered digested blood before, just fresh red blood from coccidiosis, so I'm not experienced on the matter. But this article among others I've read mention black stool being possibly caused by digested blood amongst other things: https://www.livestocking.net/chicken-poop-chart

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous hen had excessive shedding of intestinal lining, still shedding, but much less. Any suggestions?

I'm wondering if she has an out of balance of bacteria in her gut or maybe worms, does she have any undigested feed in her poo? Can you give her some plain yogurt with live cultures?
Can't believe it's been a year now.

I'll add amoxicillin to my list of chicken first aid products in case this ever happens to another chicken of mine.

For future reference and for other readers, what would be the best order of operations? Treat for worms first then administer the amoxicillin. Or give the antibiotic first for 10 days then proceed to deworm?

-

For those curious, Ella sadly passed away May 10th. I never saw any undigested feed. I still often think of all the things I could've done or tried, like get a fecal float done. I don't know her cause of death. I was too grief-stricken to get a necropsy done and too squeamish to check insider her myself.

Back in February she had a weird episode of green poops only at night and her appetite became sporadic. I did give her yogurt during that time and she loved the stuff. If memory serves, it took her almost a week before her regular appetite returned and her night poops were normal again. I never quite knew what happened or how it resolved. I had let her outside after several days of quarantine to get some sun and dust bathe, and she just spent the whole time gobbling down a ton of dirt. Next thing I knew, she was "better". Got a post here with the details: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...y-decreased-appetite-1-yo-polish-hen.1565748/

Nothing else strange happened so I never expected her to suddenly pass away.

I believe so, yes. I haven't encountered digested blood before, just fresh red blood from coccidiosis, so I'm not experienced on the matter. But this article among others I've read mention black stool being possibly caused by digested blood amongst other things: https://www.livestocking.net/chicken-poop-chart
Thank you for coming back a year later and giving an update.

Back
Top Bottom