Adopted a hound barks at chickens all day

You have your sight and your scent hounds. I have a sight hound, he sees something and he is gone, nothing will distract him. If yours is what you think, it's a scent hound, they are not as fast and the particular breed is a barker. They actually do bark when hunting to flush out stuff and for the handler to track them.

This is probably not a dog you want to leave outside because of the barking. I would think that he may be smelling different things and is curious. Have you taken him to explore the area on leash so he can learn what's around him?

They also have nose work classes for dogs in lots of areas. This may help take that energy out and give him a job. For mine we did lure coursing, it was the only thing that would tire him out.

You have your sight and your scent hounds. I have a sight hound, he sees something and he is gone, nothing will distract him. If yours is what you think, it's a scent hound, they are not as fast and the particular breed is a barker. They actually do bark when hunting to flush out stuff and for the handler to track them.

This is probably not a dog you want to leave outside because of the barking. I would think that he may be smelling different things and is curious. Have you taken him to explore the area on leash so he can learn what's around him?

They also have nose work classes for dogs in lots of areas. This may help take that energy out and give him a job. For mine we did lure coursing, it was the only thing that would tire him out.
Yes. The barking to flush critters out is why he is barking so much. That is what he did to be a good dog before. Just trying to be a good dog again. It will be hard to modify that behavior but can definitely be done with time and patience.

Yes. The barking to flush critters out is why he is barking so much. That is what he did to be a good dog before. Just trying to be a good dog again. It will be hard to modify that behavior but can definitely be done with time and patience.

So I would suggest taking him out a couple times a week to let him do what he does and start teaching him the difference between on and off property. I also think it can be done with time and patience. Each breed of dog is bred for a reason, as owners we have to give them that stimulation and make them as happy as they can be.

Back
Top Bottom