Adopted a kitten, outside cat advice

Idk how to do anything about predators. She has a covered porch to eat/sleep on and so far has only gotten off of it to go to the bathroom.

She’ll free range like our chickens do, so survival during the day will pretty much be on her. I can shut the gate to our porch to keep her better protected, but if something really wanted on there I don’t know how I’d stop it.
Outdoor kitties can have shorter but more enriching lives. Here we make sure they are vetted as needed keeping up on wormings and vaccines, especially the rabies shot. Spaying and neutering is also good. Flea and tick preventative are applied as needed.

I might get your kitty microchipped. Collars make me uneasy as they can get hung up on stuff.

Make sure to feed them well so they always come home. You could always lock them in for the night in a crate if you are worried. Some cats tolerate that and others don't.

We provide heated cat houses in the winter here. The cats will hang out in them most of the day. If it's warm enough they also like sitting in a sunny area. I like the K&H houses as they heat up when the cat sits on the pad.

I might get your kitty microchipped. Collars make me uneasy as they can get hung up on stuff.
Microchipping is a very good idea!
Although, why I like collars is because anyone can see them, and from some distance away.
Here there is a real risk of outdoor cats getting mistaken for ferals, and either shot or run over.
If that isn't a problem where you live, then there's no need to have one.

Microchipping is a very good idea!
Although, why I like collars is because anyone can see them, and from some distance away.
Here there is a real risk of outdoor cats getting mistaken for ferals, and either shot or run over.
If that isn't a problem where you live, then there's no need to have one.
I once had a stray dog run through my yard with it's foot caught in it's collar. I've also seen animals get hung up by a collar and choke themselves to death. It is a personal preference. Both carry risks.

So sad people shoot at cats. The roads are also a dangerous place for kitties. Hopefully getting them fixed and keeping them fed keeps them closer to home.

Looks like your cat is a medium to long hair cat. You will need to brush her regularly or shave her periodically or her fur will mat badly. It can be quite challenging to shave a cat - the vet may have to do if the cat won't sit still enough and you're not super careful. Their skin is quite thin and delicate and easy to injure/tear, so I'd recommend you brush her a few times a week if possible to avoid having to shave her. Once a week is probably a minimum. Once a month, and you'll be dealing with a lot of mats and dirt. Periodically may need to use small human nail scissors to remove entrapped debris and hair mats around her butt. Also, trim nails if they overgrow. You'd think an outdoor cat wouldn't have a problem with this, but some do. Dental teeth cleaning once a year if you can manage it - mine had to be sedated at the vet for this, but it prevents heart disease and lengthens life of their teeth.

De-shedding brush is most useful, not just a "cat brush". You want something with teeth similar to the below to keep the hair down enough so there are less mats, and you have to brush less often.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-deshedding-dog-cat-brush/dp/233490

Flea and tick treatment will be needed, as will baths if she comes in the house regularly so the fleas don't get on you. The vet can guide you here.

Recommend training her with occasional treats and a treat call so you can call her as needed and she'll come for the food.

Some cats can be trained to walk on leashes, other cats would damn you to perdition for trying.

Since you live somewhere cold, make sure you check the top of your engine block and under your hood prior to starting your vehicle if its been running recently and parked in your driveway during a cold day. Your cat may try to sleep there because its warm. We had one get her leg broken by sleeping on top of a warm engine block in the winter. That was a vet bill we didn't expect, but she lived 10 happy years after that with an only slightly twisted leg.

Well, a raccoon found our little cat. We caught the commotion in time and broke it up. She has what looks like a bite on her back paw and a limp. She’s going to the vet tomorrow, thankfully. I cleaned it off some and put manuka honey on it. Any advice?

Well, a raccoon found our little cat. We caught the commotion in time and broke it up. She has what looks like a bite on her back paw and a limp. She’s going to the vet tomorrow, thankfully. I cleaned it off some and put manuka honey on it. Any advice?
Vet is the right choice and will know what's best to do.
Sorry your cat got hurt! Soap and water/betadyne and neosporin/polysporin always worked well for our cats until the vet could tell us what to do.

Hopefully your kitty has had it's rabies shot? That would be my most pressing concern.
No not yet, that’s what this appt was for! 😩

Annnddd she bolted and hid under a porch where I couldn’t reach her to get her out, so we missed her appt. Soonest they could reschedule is Friday. Trying to see if there are any other options.

No not yet, that’s what this appt was for! 😩

Annnddd she bolted and hid under a porch where I couldn’t reach her to get her out, so we missed her appt. Soonest they could reschedule is Friday. Trying to see if there are any other options.
Hopefully Friday is soon enough. Get her in a crate if possible.

The one vet told me that they wouldn’t vaccinate a cat against rabies once it was already bitten. I found this really odd, does anyone know if this is typical protocol??

Back
Top Bottom