Adopting a flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mburcim, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mburcim

mburcim New Egg

Aug 3, 2008
    We just found out that we are adopting 2 hens and 3 pullets from a family that is moving out of state. This will be our first experience with chickens. They currently sleep in a large dog crate/cage which we are moving along with the girls.
    Any advice about making the move smooth for everyone? We plan to free range them, but have a pen enclosed to keep them in for a few days to help them adjust to thier new locale. The crate/cage will be kept in that area until we are able to build a proper coop. Help, advice, tips...??
    Should we move them early in the day? Late at night? Will they stop laying until they adjust? Other things to expect? We want them to stay happy and healthy!
    Thanks!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It sounds like you have everything figured out.

I would personally move them either at night or early in the morning. When we butchered our roosters, we separated them from the others at twilight and they were calm as can be. I had to clip one chicken's wings today and I did it at twilight and she was very calm and quiet.

They may stop laying, moving can be stressful.

Good luck!

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I agree with ChickenToes.

And welcome to BYC.

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    When you start free-ranging them, you might want to let 2 or 3 out of the pen at a time. They will tend to stick close to their buddies.

5. mburcim

mburcim New Egg

Aug 3, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I think we will pick them up tonight or tomorrow night. Great idea to only let a couple out at a time. We'll try to get them settled in smoothly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by