Adopting a kitten for Christmas, should we get two?

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
So it's been a year and a half since my female kitty age 14 passed. Been 4 years since DH's male kitty age 10 passed. DH was heartbroken when his died so I haven't asked for a new one since mine died, was waiting patiently till he was ready. A couple weeks ago found out our local shelters are waiving adoption fees for cats for Nov. and Dec. Asked DH if he'd heard about it which he hadn't. I showed him the article and left it at that. About a week ago, he said to me very nonchalantly, "So, are we getting a cat for Christmas?" Aside from the jump for joy my heart did
celebrate.gif
, I responded very calmly, "If you want to..." Started looking online at the kitties available and found a couple I'm interested in. I really want him to go with me to choose and he seems okay with the idea. I tried to sound him out about getting two since we'd had two before, didn't seem to receptive to it however. I know we need as young as possible since we have so many other animals, but it's been forever since we had a kitten.

Here's my question, will one kitten be fine adjusting to the other indoor animals? Should I just be thrilled DH is okay with getting one or should I see if I can get him to consider two? I know the dog will love having a kitten to play with but I want this to be an indoor cat and while that won't be a problem when I'm home, it will have to be locked in its own room when we're gone so the dog can use the dog door. Will it be too lonely by itself like that? A couple years ago my mom adopted one kitten for Christmas, she did just fine but they have no other animals and her cat is kinda picky about people. Of course I will post pictures...
big_smile.png

If you want two, get two. It certainly won't mind having a friend and there's certainly no shortage of cats in shelters looking for homes. That said, I wouldn't worry about it being an only cat if DH isn't open to two right now. We've had only cats indoors with no problems whatsoever and they never acted lonely or upset. If you do go with one maybe just pick one that seems a little more aloof than the others. Friendly, but aloof cats seem to be my favorite so maybe I'm partial but they seem to do well alone.

Since you are rescuing, I say the more the merrier! LOL. I hope you enjoy your new kitten(s), and bless you for rescuing!

Well two kittens are a lot of fun, that's for sure! At the humane society here, they encourage getting more than 1 kitten, and even have a 2-for-1 deal if you adopt 2 at the same time. That being said, if DH just wants one, go with that! (You can always add another later...) Also, you could get one of those dog doors that lock and unlock with a collar for the dog, so that the cat doesn't have to stay locked up...just a thought. Won't matter too much anyway though...cats just sleep all day...
smile.png

My idea behind getting two kittens at once is that they have each other to annoy when they get to the annoying teenage kitty stage.
big_smile.png

Bless you for rescuing, whether it is one or two, every one counts!
smile.png

Quote:
Didn't know there was such a thing!!! So like that idea, however won't be for a while so will have to make do in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom