Adopting from the humane society!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quarantine is important, of course, regardless of breed. That being said, a good practice would be to have a separate pen available once the quarantine period is over in case integrating with the old hens doesn't work out. I've seen some game hens that were every bit as aggressive as the cocks. They may be just fine, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared in case it isn't.

This stag was harassing this pullet. He’s on the ground and she put him there. Game hens/pullets can defend themselves and don’t take much crap.
C16DDDDB-2913-4F94-92D8-0B045671B874.png

Some females can be every bit as aggressive as the males. I have quite a few game pullets/hens that can absolutely put a rooster in his place quick. Especially a young layer cockerel.
Had an SLW pullet kick the poop out of one of her male hatch mates.
Kinda surprised me, but she did it over and over...no bloody battle to the death,
but kept him 'in his place' for weeks.

I went to my local humane society and they told me with no uncertain terms they do not accept chicken to re-home male or female, the city and county both allow people to raise them. i was also told they had no idea what they would do if they went in and took over a person's flock for abuse/cock fighting. likely let the state take them and do something with them. I was wanting dome free/low cost hens and roosters for a stew pot but no such luck from them....

I'm pretty sure the humane society wants to adopt chickens out to be pets/livestock, not to be eaten. If they wanted them dead, they'd just euthanize them.

I'm pretty sure the humane society wants to adopt chickens out to be pets/livestock, not to be eaten. If they wanted them dead, they'd just euthanize them.
I told them I wanted a way to re-home them in order to "do the right thing" and adopt an unwanted animals and start a flock that way. I in no way said or implied that I wanted to eat them.....

Our Society for Prevention of Cruelry to Animals (possibly similar to your humane society I'm guessing),Will not adopt out any animal that cannot be spayed/neutered. They have so many peafowl and chickens running around. I know they try and prevent more babies hatching but it's not always possible. I asked them about adopting from them and that was that reason they gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom