Adopting older turkeys!

pmoore

Chirping
May 13, 2018
Ohio
New turkey owner here- I currently have two poults that are roughly a month old and are still in their brooder. We are taking two older turkeys from my in laws, a Royal Palm Hen and a Blue Slate(?) Tom.
My first concern is their enclosure- should I be worried about them flying over fencing? I eventually will let them free range our acreage, but for now should I put poultry netting over until they get acclimated to their new home?
When my poults are old enough to go to their coop, how should I go about integrating them?
I'm open to any and all advice!

You can clip one wing on the adult hen to keep her in. The Tom shouldn't be able to fly out. I personally am not a fan of total free ranging for turkeys. They can sometimes wander off, and in general are everywhere you don't want them to be.

You introduce poults the same as integrating chicks, keep them fenced where they can be seen. Generally by the time the poults are 3 months I start to let them mingle under supervision until I feel comfortable leaving everyone together. Turkeys hate change so expect lots of complaints when you move them to some place new.

Back
Top Bottom