1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adopting the last chick? Questions please He seems fine.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Attack Chicken, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My school wants me to adopt the last chick of a batch they hatched. The others that hatched or pipped died. Should I be worried if the chick is carrying a disease? These hatched 3 days late and during the hatching the humidity was up so high so that there were water droplets on the viewing panels. I am wondering if I should keep this separate from my chicks at home or should I put them together since chicks need buddies? Please help!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    chicks need buddies I say.

Do you really think it's sick?

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    does the chick seem sick? sluggish?

How did the other chicks die? How old are the kids that where with the chicks, could rough handeling of the chicks have killed them?

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I haven't seen the chick yet. These are highschool kids but I'm not sure if they have handled the chicks or not. The only info I have is that they were supposed to hatch the day after mine. Instead of hatching on Monday they hatched on Thursday of last week. The last one to hatch was on Saturday. I am just thinking the chicks died because of temp/humidity problems. The 2 that I did see last week were running around the incubator. I've been sick 2 days so I haven't been able to go to school.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I would take the baby and keep it away from others til you see how it is health wise. Maybe after a couple of days or a week I would put one other baby with it for company.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Awww, please rescue the poor, lonely baby. [​IMG]

7. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It will be pretty interesting trying to smuggle a baby chick onto the bus and keeping him/her quiet for 15 minutes [​IMG] I'll have more updates once I see the chick next class period.

8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got to look at the baby chick last period I believe he/she is a banty blue-laced wyandotte. Besides having a little pasty butt he/she starting running around once I went into the room and looking in the cardboard brooder. He doesn't make much noise but neither does my other little wyandottes at home and their fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by