Adorable Co Parenting Hens

kshamric

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Texas
I just had to post this, as I thought it was just too cute. These 2 girls went broody at the same time and both sat on the same 5 eggs in 1 nesting box. Yes, That was a lot of chicken in 1 poor box lol. Yesterday we got the surprise of a cute lil black fluff ball. This morning I walked out to check on the baby and the black chick was gone and so was my Blue Laced Wyandotte (Momma #2) hen but low and behold there was a cute lil blue fluffy ball in the nest with my Barnevelder hen (Momma #1). After feeding the chickens I walked out of the hen house and there was Momma #2 and the lil black chick, so I added the black chick back into the nest. Within 10 minutes both hens were in the nest caring for babies. This evening I moved both babies and both mommas into our "brooder pen" we made for raising chicks and for new mommas to raise babies safely from predators. The momma hens are inseparable and Momma #1 will raise Momma #2s wing so she can snuggle in to lay with her and the babies. This has to be one of the cutest chicken moments we have had here on our farm.
Chick pic #3.jpg
Chick pic #1.jpg
Chick pic #2.jpg

Hi there I have silky 4 of them my incubator aliens they co brood often let you tell me try to look at one flying silky to teach you

I have 3 hens who also went broody at the same time! I ordered 6 Silkie hatching eggs, put hem under at the same time, only 3 developed so the 3 good ones were split evenly among the broody hens- so each hen got one egg. All three eggs hatched so each hen had her own chick, but they're all co-parenting now! It’s a little crazy with 3 broody mamas, especially when they try to share one nest box, but they don’t seem to mind caring for the chicks altogether!
06ED2A1E-47F9-44F5-9367-1999632D4FB6.jpeg

614CD43F-932F-4502-85E7-6096E201F95D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom