Adrenalin rush

wegotchickens

DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Sevier County, TN
I was reading a book while letting the peeps free-range. My cat, Jezebel, was sticking pretty close to me, being unusually loving. Then I noticed the neighbor's white cat watching the peeps with a gleam in her eye. Jez hates the white cat, so I walked closer to the peeps and called Jez to me, hoping she'd see and take off after the white cat.

Thank heavens, Jez ignored the white cat and stayed by my feet. In broad daylight, at 3:30 in the afternoon, a coyote came out of a thin strip of woods behind the neighbors house and was loping towards my peeps! At first I stood there in shock. Then as it got closer I said, 'Oh *poop*' and started looking for a weapon besides my library book. But it noticed me when I spoke and ran into the woods. Unfortunately, the white cat also bolted into the same stretch of woods!

I rounded up the peeps and put them away. I grabbed Jezebel and carried her into the house. I told DH what happened and he made me calm down. I've been sick all weekend with a bad cold, so he refused to let me go out to look for the white cat. I did call her owners, though.

I've seen a lot of coyotes before this, as Mom in GA has had a plague of them the past few years. This was definitely a coyote, and a healthy thick pelt on it, too.

Oh how frightening!
I know we have coyotes in the area. Thankfully, none have found us.
At least you know the coyote is around and can take precautions
smile.png

Happy Holidays and Good Luck!
Lisa
(edited for typos)

Last edited:
That is so scary! I'm hearing more and more of these attacks right out in broad daylight! We have a huge pack of them living all around us. With all the home foreclosures happening there's less and less human activity going on where I live and there's lots of land and abandoned homes for the coyotes to take refuge in. So far my place is safe, I have two Great Pyrnees and so far my chickens have been safe.

It was VERY scary. The neighbors still haven't seen their white cat. I hope its OK...

I made sure to tell the neighbors farther up the road who have small children. Their kids play outside near the woods, in a tree house. I doubt one would mess with a child. But if you see one you have to assume more.

Back
Top Bottom