adult duck diets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jrobertson, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    i was wondering if anyone could tell me when it is time to stop feeding starter and grower and change over to a maintenance feed for ducks. i've had a few develop small wing issues and i think its from being on the starter/grower too long. also, i've always mixed my own grains for my birds but it doesn't seem the drakes can handle the extra calcium from the laying pellets. so i will offer the hens oyster shell free choice during the laying season. my question is if i dont have a feed store locally that carries a strictly waterfowl feed, then what am i to do? i can buy whole grains. i just want to know really what is a balanced diet for young ducks coming off grower and a maintenance feed for fully grown ducks. i have ducks and ducklings of all ages and i want to get the exact recipe. thanks. also if you can list percentages to look for and/or name brands.
    Jared

2. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Check out Storey's Guide to raising Ducks, theres exact recipes toward the back, I think you can access some of the book online.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:From Starter to Grower at 2 weeks. Grower until fully grown (usually 10-12 weeks) Believe me the drakes can handle the extra calcium just fine, but offer the oyster shell to the females because their need varies. Try this recipe table http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/modpo/visuals/e1260t2.html
    Others
    can fe found by the use of a internet search like google.

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I wish I could mix my own. I thought it would be cheaer. I did it wants but where I live by the time I bought everything and mixed it up, I was paying $45 for 50 lbs. My waterfowl feed is $29. for 50 lbs of maintance and $22 for 20 lbs of starter. I guess food is just expensive.

5. vlapinta

vlapinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    Wow Omabird that seems expensive to me. I just bought a 50 lb bag of Nutrena grower and it cost me $14.50! The starter crumbles were slightly higher for a 50 lb bag, maybe @ $16.00

Vicki

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Paid 13.50 for a 50 pound bag of Nutrena Grower feed in Oregon.
    Katharina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by