HannahsHobbyFarm

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
I have 3 silver laced Wyandottes (3 yrs old) who are targeting my 7 week old chicks relentlessly.

All other older hens (14 total) do just fine with everyone new. Normal pecking here and there.
The babies (22 total) have been in a brooder/run setup inside the current big run, so everyone’s been getting used to each other safely for several weeks.
We free range on 8+ acres. The run itself is huge and plenty of room.
Plenty of water/food as well.
During the day, I let the littles out to explore and get used to the bigger enclosure while the older hens are free ranging nearby.

The Wyandotte’s don’t just peck the babies like normal. They see them out of their smaller area and make a bee line to attack. (I honestly can’t tell if it’s all 3 Wyandottes or just one, I cannot tell them apart and when I think it’s just one, another does it)
The babies submit and run but the Wyandottes don’t stop. They go after them until the babies get completely out of reach or I intervene.
Is this normal? Or is this something I need to address?

Should I separate the 3 Wyandotte’s for awhile?
Any advice much appreciated! I don’t want to see a little get killed!

I have 3 silver laced Wyandottes (3 yrs old) who are targeting my 7 week old chicks relentlessly.

All other older hens (14 total) do just fine with everyone new. Normal pecking here and there.
The babies (22 total) have been in a brooder/run setup inside the current big run, so everyone’s been getting used to each other safely for several weeks.
We free range on 8+ acres. The run itself is huge and plenty of room.
Plenty of water/food as well.
During the day, I let the littles out to explore and get used to the bigger enclosure while the older hens are free ranging nearby.

The Wyandotte’s don’t just peck the babies like normal. They see them out of their smaller area and make a bee line to attack. (I honestly can’t tell if it’s all 3 Wyandottes or just one, I cannot tell them apart and when I think it’s just one, another does it)
The babies submit and run but the Wyandottes don’t stop. They go after them until the babies get completely out of reach or I intervene.
Is this normal? Or is this something I need to address?

Should I separate the 3 Wyandotte’s for awhile?
Any advice much appreciated! I don’t want to see a little get killed!
I am in the same boat! I have 7 - pullets at 5 weeks. I do the same thing- let the hens look but no touch. We have lots of hiding places for the little ones and lowered the door so only the littles can go in but the hens can’t.
I can’t leave my pullets out without supervision- I have some very interested cats in eating the new little pullets. I hope to build a completely enclosed run - soon!

Back
Top Bottom