Adult Peacock with chickens

NCIndiaBlue

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
NC
I'm getting an adult male peacock today and I'm really excited about it. I have a large chicken coop with a run that I am thinking about putting him for several weeks until he gets settled in. The chickens all free range during the day. Is it ok to put an adult peacock with the chickens? I know they have be wormed once a month or so.

Awesome, thanks guys!
big_smile.png

It is ok as long as there's a lot of room- peafowl are very big birds, especially when the tails are factored in. If the coop/run is small, the tail will get damaged..

As he is an adult, would recommend keeping him confined for months instead of weeks, especially if he was from a place with other peafowls.

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! He's about 11 months old, so his tail is short, but he's in a very big pen that's completely covered by woven poultry wire. I think I will probably just leave him in there for at least several months, I would hate for him to fly away.

Whoops, ok.. you should have an easier time with him- in peafowl lingo he's considered a 'yearling'. Adults usually refer to birds 3 years or older.

Good news- yearlings are generally the easiest ones for letting free range at a new place. Still, him being the only one and if he came from a place with lots of peafowl, be a good idea to keep him confined for a good while..

Enjoy your new bird!
smile.png

Quote:
Ok great. Glad to know he's considered a yearling and easier to work with. He is very calm... now I just have to find him a peahen.

Quote:
Ok great. Glad to know he's considered a yearling and easier to work with. He is very calm... now I just have to find him a peahen.

Are you near Eastern NC? I know a person near Jacksonville that has quite a few pea's.

Steve in NC

Quote:

Are you near Eastern NC? I know a person near Jacksonville that has quite a few pea's.

Steve in NC

Hey Steve,

I live in in the Piedmont Triad area of NC.. it's more central NC.. but I would not mind driving to Jacksonvile.

Back
Top Bottom